Bad time for IPad Mini 2 Purchase?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by TStokes97, May 12, 2015.

1. TStokes97 macrumors newbie

Hi, I was thinking about buying a Ipad Mini 2 soon, I am starting college and wondering if it would be an OK investment at this point or if it would soon be useless with newer technology. I know the Mini 3 was released but its out of my price range. Looking to spend about $250-$310 for a tablet that will augment my laptop(HP Stream 11) nicely(notes during class, videos, entertainment, reading etc.). I figured this would be the forum to turn to since I love the Stream which was reccommended to me here some months back. If you have any other tablet suggestions in this range I'd be happy to hear them, I am looking for something that runs IOS though .

2. ratigator macrumors regular

ratigator

Mini 2 is still a good choice, at least for now. There won't be anything new until late this year, and I don't think you'll see much change in your price range at that point. There isn't much different on the 3, except for the Touch ID sensor, which may or may not be important to you. I'd get at least the 32gb one so you're not always running out of storage if you want to keep photos, big apps, music and movies on it. Check out Apple's refurbished deals, or open box at Best Buy or something. Should be able to get some good deals.

3. jweinraub macrumors 6502

jweinraub

If price is a concern, I would go with the ipad 2 but splurge on space. I bought it solely for school as well, thinking I will jsut store my PDFs of my textbooks and email/backboard/gpa calculator/periodic tables/and such. As I used it more and more, I ran out of space a lot. My friend suggested I go with one higher than what I wanted and now I wish I got even higher but at the time, the c-note increments are difficult, especially that I already financed the iPad from Apple!

Though owning an iPhone 6, I am so accustomed to the TouchID, I do miss it, but don't need it for an iPad. I am glad I got the mini however as it fits nicely in my backpack for school with everything else and dont need to lug my rMBP as I handwrite my notes rather than type.

4. TStokes97 thread starter macrumors newbie

I appreciate the advice, I'll probably go with the mini 2 because storage space isn't a problem for me. I carry a 1tb WiFi drive with me so I can always use that for storage.

5. tibas92013 macrumors 6502

Last "Black Friday" i bought a new 32GB iPad Mini2 from Best Buy for under $300(includes State Tax) and it is one "dandy" device!.

6. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

Check Swappa. I just sold a Mini 2 128gb with a TON of accessories for $400. The prices are dropping like a rock. If you don't mind used you can snag a great deal.

7. TStokes97, May 29, 2015
    Last edited: May 29, 2015

TStokes97 thread starter macrumors newbie

Follow up question, Is the iPad Air 1 still a good device? Will it still function well for YouTube, Web Browsing, Email Some word processing and Music for awhile even though the Air 2 is out? I know it's a little more expensive but I generally wait until a good price offer comes from PC Magazine so I'm not too concerned about it being a little over my stated range. Thanks for all your help I'm not the brightest at this stuff.

8. placidity44 macrumors 6502

placidity44

The Air is still a phenomenal tablet. Get a refurbished mini 2 or Air from Apple.com. Refurbs are returns within the 14 day window or brand new inventory that they are clearing out. Even if there isn't a single mark on the returned iPad apple will give it a brand new outer shell and battery and rigorously test the product. I firmly believe that Apple's refurbs are better than new because on the assembly line you can't test every one like that. They also come with the same 14 day return policy and 1 year warranty and you can buy applecare for them. You can't go wrong with Apple's refurbished. This isn't dells refurbished process and I would only buy refurbished from Apple.

9. macgeek88 Suspended

IMO I see no reason to go for the Mini 3. The only difference is Touch ID. It was barely talked about at the keynote it was announced at. If you want the newest and something different from it's prior generation, the iPad Air 2 was a noticeable difference from the Air 1.

I sold my Mini 1 and iPad 3 to my grandparents (one for each of them) and bought a Mini 2 and I love it.

Don't get me wrong Touch ID is great and works great and I love it on my iPhone 6. I only use it for unlocking my phone though. I don't use Apple Pay and I rarely buy new apps, so for me it's just a novelty. I'm fine with a PIN on my Mini 2. But I'm not paying $100 for it especially since there are no spec changes.

Now as far as waiting for a Mini 4, thats a different subject. But IMO Mini 2 vs Mini 3, there is no reason to get the 3 unless you are coming from a 1 and are ok spending the extra dough, or you reallllly need Touch ID. Otherwise, you are better off with the 2. Even the Mini 1 is a good tablet, just needed retina IMO.

10. placidity44 macrumors 6502

placidity44

The Mini 3 is just a Mini 2 with Touch ID...that's it. For 100 dollars more. Completely agree with this.

11. TStokes97 thread starter macrumors newbie

So the air 1 will still be serviceable for awhile, it won't stop getting updates any time soon?

12. placidity44 macrumors 6502

placidity44

13. TStokes97 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok thanks that's something that always worries me more than anything else