bad time for macbook pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ppmov46, Sep 30, 2008.

  1. ppmov46 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2008
    #1
    hi guys.. i posted something earlier but hope this works better.
    would you recommend buying the most trusted macbook pro (current version), it has been fixed for like 2 years...
    or buy the first revision of a new product, october 14.
    what do you recommend i do.
    I waited so long... but now i am debating wether to get the current macbook pro or the new one.
    what do you recommend?
     
  2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

    Eidorian

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2005
    Location:
    Indianapolis
    #2
    Keep waiting for the update, please. I'm very wary of nVidia video cards right now.
     
  3. rubberball macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2008
    Location:
    Denver, CO
    #3
    SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH before posting this question...

    If you NEED NEED NEED it (for work, school, or whatever) buy it now. If you don't NEED it wait for the revision.
     
  4. Scepticalscribe Contributor

    Scepticalscribe

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2008
    Location:
    The Far Horizon
    #4
    To a large extent, I agree with rubberball; buy if you need it, wait if you merely want it. However, as you rightly point out, glitches on the current model have been pretty fully ironed out nVidia notwithstanding). Therefore, my actual advice would be to wait for the updates, then, if you don't care for what you see, go and buy a refurb, a model that you know to have been tried and (individually) tested, one which comes with Apple's guarantee, and most likely, a generous discount.
    Cheers
     
  5. MrChurchyard macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 22, 2008
    #5
    That's without a doubt the most intelligent course of action. +1.
     
  6. liquidtrend macrumors 6502

    liquidtrend

    Joined:
    Jul 26, 2008
    Location:
    HOUSTON, TX
    #6
    if you need it now...get it now. i purchased a 17" mbp about a week and a half to two weeks ago and i couldnt be happier.

    there are a bunch of personal reasons why i picked up the current model and im fine with not waiting for the new release, but im not going to list them in fear that this gets skewed off of topic and becomes a different kind of post.

    if you can wait...and dont like what you see, then of course scepticalscribe is on top of things with suggesting a refurb.
     
  7. Beric macrumors 68020

    Beric

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2008
    Location:
    Bay Area
    #7
    I totally agree.

    It's quite likely there will be a graphics card update with the new MBP.
     
  8. Hmac macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    May 30, 2007
    Location:
    Midwest USA
    #8
    If you need it now, buy it now. If you wait til the next upgrade, people on this forum will subsequently tell you wait until the upgrade after that.

    Bear in mind that you will only have a "current" computer for about 6 months at the most, no matter when you buy.
     
  9. theMaccer macrumors 6502a

    theMaccer

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2006
    Location:
    SoCal
    #9
    If you need it now and you can find a good deal, then get it. If not, then wait.

    I know some school are clearing out their current base model for $1599 right now.
     
  10. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

    andiwm2003

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2004
    Location:
    Boston, MA
    #10
    wait for the update.

    if you like it wait 2 weeks more and see how many rev A issues are there. then wait 4 weeks till they are fixed and buy.

    if you don't like the new design or if the rev A problems don't get fixed then buy a refurb macbook with a nice discount.

    if you can't wait for another four to eight weeks buy now.
     
  11. sourgreenapple macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2008
    #11
    Thank you so much for saying that. I have been trying to tell him that every day (im a friend of his). He has been waiting for the last 5 months (about a month or two after the last refresh) to buy a macbook. He refuses to buy one because he thinks it will be refreshed and then his life will be ruined. In the meantime, for the last five months hes been switching between buying and retuning macbooks, and using and old ibook he had. If he waits for the refresh, in 6 months when the refresh again he will cry and his life will be ruined and he will say he had wasted 5 months of his life computorless for nothing and he will probably go and sell his macbook on ebay and buy the new new one.

    He is crazy, and has severe OCD.

    The best thing for him would be to buy the best macbook he could afford now (he would like a pro) and to realize that computers will get slightly dirty, scratched, dusty, used, and most of all they will never stay the newest model. And he has to realize that this is no reason to return them or to cry, and the awesome thing about a mac, is that it still runs like new after all these things happen, and will run like new for years (my macbook pro is two years old and just as amazing as when i bought it. i wouldn't trade it for any other computer today).
     
  12. rubberball macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2008
    Location:
    Denver, CO
    #12
    I couldn't agree more. I love my NEW MacBook Pro! Picked it up from MacMall for a steal of a price. Couldn't be happier. We are in the credit crunch and all, and I couldn't justify waiting and then spending the 2k on a new MPB.
     
  13. twoodcc macrumors P6

    twoodcc

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2005
    Location:
    Right side of wrong
  14. MacIllini macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2006
    Location:
    West Coast
    #14
    hahaha... pretty funny reply :p

    anyway, if you waited THIS long... you might as well go 2 more weeks for the updated version (assuming it comes out Oct. 15). My MBP is 2 years running and going just as strong as the day I bought it. can't say the same for my previous PC laptops.
     

Share This Page