Bad time to buy a Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by msmth928, Jun 3, 2009.

  1. msmth928 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 3, 2009
    #1
    The buyers guide here says hold off - but will there be new models coming soon? How much of a speed bump will they get in your opinion? Will they have Blu ray?

    In other words will it be a major change or just a little bump up in spec - and when would you expect them?

    What do you think? Worth waiting or just get one now? (I'm looking at getting the cheapest MBP)
     
  2. Petoz macrumors 6502

    Petoz

    Joined:
    Apr 1, 2008
    Location:
    UK
    #2
    Try http://mroogle.*************/

    But....any updates are only likely to be minor. Nothing spectacular like blue ray etc. If you can hold off buying and can "wait and see" then there is no harm done.
     
  3. ARK macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2008
    Location:
    Indianapolis, IN
    #3
    I think the Buyers Guide is way off. If you will remember they were released in October then bumped in March - Processor and memory capability. However it has been longer for both the MacBook and the Air. (Oct) I can see them getting a slight bump but not until after WWDC.
     
  4. msmth928 thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 3, 2009
    #4
    I tried the search Petoz posted, but couldn't see any bump in specs in March? :confused:
     
  5. miles01110 macrumors Core

    miles01110

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2006
    Location:
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
    #5
    new models: no
    minor speed bump: non-zero possibility, but small
    blu-ray: no
     
  6. ARK macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2008
    Location:
    Indianapolis, IN
    #6
    256 SSD.. 2.66Ghz.. 2.93 Ghz.. the ability for 8gig ram..
     
  7. msmth928 thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 3, 2009
    #7
    You're talking about the 17" right? What about the 15" models? Have they been the same since October? If so are they likely to get a bump like the white macbook did recently?
     
  8. hellrider macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2008
    Location:
    Pennsylvania
    #8
    The "mid-range" CPU is now 2.66 instead of 2.53. I believe there is something else also.
     
  9. Scepticalscribe Contributor

    Scepticalscribe

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2008
    Location:
    The Far Horizon
    #9
    I don't think that there is ever "a bad time" to buy a MBP. They are a superb machine - I have one and it is easily the best computer I have ever owned. Having said that, there is never a "good time" either, as people can wait endlessly for updates, improvements, the next technological breakthrough, and so on, which can serve to make tech lovers feel that they have outdated machines.

    My advice is if you need one, buy it, and if you merely wat one, wait until the next major update, when you can decide to buy the new model - after initial teething problems have been dealt with - or the slightly out-of-date model, which will have been tested and tried and will usually come with a price drop as well. In this case, I'd certainly recommend that you wait until after the WWDC, as you would kick yourself if anything new emerged (a highly unlikely scenario) and you had just purchased a MBP.

    Cheers and good luck
     
  10. ARK macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2008
    Location:
    Indianapolis, IN
    #10
    Nope, the 15" inch was quietly updated with the same specs as the 17".
     
  11. mrrippey macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2009
    #11
    unless something really crazy comes out tomorrow, i will buy one this week, either a 2.56 or a 2.66 if I can win one on eBay
     
  12. chiLLzz macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2009
    #12
    i will be buying a mbp 15" 2.4 very soon as well.. hope something comes out at the WWDC this week.. if they announce a minor upgrade, how long do u think it will take for the stocks to get to the retailers?
     
  13. JD92, Jun 7, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  14. mrrippey macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2009
    #14
    I think if there is a bump tomorrow, then those will be out very shortly I would think. Maybe in July when the new iPhone comes out.

    Of course I could be completely wrong and it be in retailers tomorrow.....but I doubt there will be a bump tomorrow/this week.
     

Share This Page