Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

moosemoose.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2008
Hi, I could use some advice. I'm going to be traveling for a week and I really want a phone with maps so I've been looking into the iPhone. But according to the rumors iPhone 2.0 is right around the corner but not soon enough for my trip.

Here are some things I've been thinking about:
1) Is it possible to get a second-gen phone by breaking the iPhone and getting it through the warranty.(I know it sounds shady :cool:)
2) Can I buy an iPhone, use it for the trip, and return it in the 14 day period, and then buy a 2.0 when it comes out.(There's only a 10% restocking fee for returning within 14 days right? No other fees?)
3) Is the second gen even worth it? I doubt I would even use the GPS if there's a monthly fee, which i think there will be, save for trips. I also read somewhere that the upgrade to 3.0 will consume up to 30% more batteries.

Thanks to anyone who responds. Please if you have any creative ideas that are a solution to my problem, do share. :D

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
1. I think they'd give you a refurb first gen.
2. Guess so
3. Until it's announced, no one really knows.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
Hi, I could use some advice. I'm going to be traveling for a week and I really want a phone with maps so I've been looking into the iPhone. But according to the rumors iPhone 2.0 is right around the corner but not soon enough for my trip.

Here are some things I've been thinking about:
1) Is it possible to get a second-gen phone by breaking the iPhone and getting it through the warranty.(I know it sounds shady :cool:)
2) Can I buy an iPhone, use it for the trip, and return it in the 14 day period, and then buy a 2.0 when it comes out.(There's only a 10% restocking fee for returning within 14 days right? No other fees?)
3) Is the second gen even worth it? I doubt I would even use the GPS if there's a monthly fee, which i think there will be, save for trips. I also read somewhere that the upgrade to 3.0 will consume up to 30% more batteries.

Thanks to anyone who responds. Please if you have any creative ideas that are a solution to my problem, do share. :D

1) If they caught you, you just broke your phone without a replacement. Don't use water ;)
2) A gamble.
3)You're 5 weeks away from keynote by Jobs, 8 weeks away from the anniversary of the iPhone, which is strongly indicated will be the release of 3G iPhone. Yes it is worth it.

drb6

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2005
Boston, MA
knowing apple and its bag of tricks, you will most likely regret buying it now. 2.0 may have a lot more cooler features than we've thought of on these boards.

seems like you can do option 2, if you're okay with the restocking fee. Or you could find yourself an old fashioned map solution for this one week

spinstorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
Remember that the maps function on iPhone needs a data connection to work so unless you sign up for an iPhone contract or have unlimited data on another network you will be charged for using the maps!

I might suggest buying an unlocked nokia phone with GPS built in as you could return it and wouldn't have to sign up for a contract AND Nokia lets you download maps over your computer BEFORE you use the phone so there would be no data charges.

I agree that buying an iPhone now is silly as we will get a new model within the next month and it will be better than the current model - not to mention that it may not be hackable for a while anyway thus meaning that only those on official contracts would be able to use it immediately anyway.

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
Not sure where you are traveling, but a portable/personal GPS that you could return without a restocking fee may be better for the short term.

jakeacc

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2008
handheld gps

I agree. You should buy a handhelf GPS device that will have a lot more features than the iphones maps. Then, when you return from your trip, you can return it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.