Bad time to buy old macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Astroboy907, May 7, 2012.

1. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

I just bought parts to build myself a late 2008 macbook pro. I fear that since apple is probably going to put macbook pros on sale there will be an influx of older models into the market for cheaper. Think I should resell the part? Its a late 2008 (actually early 2009) 2.66ghz chassis, I got it for $380.

2. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

3. Astroboy907 thread starter macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

How so?
    I am actually a high school student, and really wanted a laptop. Over the summer I was thinking of repairing laptops and reselling, so maybe this will actually turn out for the better on my part :)

Anyways, would you consider a 2.66ghz late 2008 for $530 a good deal? That is my total cost estimate for the repair.

4. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Yeah that's pretty good!

5. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

You should ALWAYS buy 'what you need when you need it' in any facet of business/ life.. If what you HAVE is working for you, then USE it until it no longer makes sense to.. Period!!

If you have Too Much Money, then by all means, KEEP the Economy Moving by spending it.. Often!!

:D

6. Astroboy907 thread starter macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Yeah, I've gotten fed up with my moms old 2006 iMac. I can only go to 3gb of RAM and everything is pretty slow. I use photoshop and CS5 a lot, as well as aperture and video edit software, so I went with the nearest sub $550 solution- fix it myself :)

Plus, I hate being stuck at this desk all day and it makes moving files to anything a pain! :)

7. Mavrack macrumors member

Mavrack

At least you don't have a ****** Dell inspiron 1545 that is missing the D, G, and 2 key because of the ****** quality keyboard. Sticky as well from your dog that knocked a can of Ginger Ale all over the keyboard, PLUS the cheap plastic hinges that broke within a year of opening the lid, OH and the charger that broke because it is too made of cheap plastic and worst of all....VISTA. Couldn't stand it, bought a MBP as soon as possible :D and I am SO glad I did. Never going Windows again. Likewise if you can't stand your old computer by all means get one :).