Bad timing! Phone dying now?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tlbwriter, Sep 9, 2011.

1. tlbwriter macrumors regular

So, my 3GS is acting weird - sporadically failing to send text messages, failing to make outgoing calls, incoming callers cannot hear me. It started last weekend and a friend told me lots of people she knew with AT&T were having problems, so I thought it had cleared itself up, but it just happened again so I think it's likely a phone issue and not a carrier issue.

I haven't tried to restore it at this point (can't do it until I get home), but I'm planning for the worst case scenario and wondering what my options are. It's out of warranty but I know there's a possibility Apple will give me the $200 "fix." I believe I could also buy a 4 and then, if I choose, return it within 30 days and get a 5 (assuming it comes out), right? Could I also return my $200 replacement within 30 days? And what happens if I want to choose that option but the 3GS is no longer available at my store? If I choose to do neither, go back to my old Nokia and wait for the 5 to come out, will I be able to keep my unlimited data plan?

2. Peanut207 macrumors 6502

Sorry to hear. I'm kinda in the same position as you. My iPhone4 decided to take a swim this past Sat and it doesn't look good. :( I immediately put it in rice and hoped for the best but so far nothing. Everyone I was with said rice will work but it hasn't for me yet. So for now I'm using an old LG VU. Needless to say, I am eagerly awaiting the iphone5/S or whatever they name it. It will be a very nice upgrade for me. You don't realize how much you miss your iPhone until it's gone.

Anyway, if I were you I'd bring your iPhone to an apple store and make an appt. with the genius bar and just explain to them how your phone has become faulty. Chances are if you haven't brought it in yet to get fixed or repaired prior which it doesn't sound like you have, they will swap it for you and give you a new or refurbished one. I had cracked my front screen on my iPhone4 a few months back and brought it in knowing full well it is not covered under insurance for such an accident and also explained to them that the home button wasn't as responsive as it used to be and sometimes takes several tries to work. Of course the Apple employee played around with it and it worked fine and I just explained that it was random. So with that issue and the front screen being cracked he offered me a perfectly working and in mint condition iphone4. :) Of course if I try that now with my water damaged phone they probably won't do anything for me since they've already "hooked" me up once but I may try anyway..I dunno. So bring it in, they are very helpful and there's a good chance you'll walk outta there with a new Iphone4.

3. blue43fan macrumors regular

I would try changing the SIM first. I've had SIM cards "go bad" on me, so to speak, and a simple switch fixed all problems for me. Go explain the situation to your carrier and they'll likely give you a new one for free. Much, much cheaper than a $200 replacement. :cool:

4. ritmomundo macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

Definitely try restoring it when you can. I doubt the hardware in your phone is dying like that (excep maybe the SIM card, like ^^^^).

5. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I know, probably a silly question: Did you close all recently used apps and turn the phone off and then back on? (Not a reset, just turning it of gracefully)?

Also, I would make a genius appointment. They might be able to tell you what's wrong with it. Heck, they might even do an out-of-warranty fix for you! :)

----------

I would say there is a zero percent chance of that happening, but it makes me warm all over just thinking about it. :D

Edit: Interesting. My posts were combined even though I did them separately (I read the quoted text after I had already made my first post). I hadn't seen that before. Cool!