Bad to charge iPhone 3G overnight?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by soccerb12ku, Aug 13, 2008.

1. soccerb12ku macrumors member

I heard that it is bad to charge the iPhone 3G overnight....is it or is it not?

i would like to know because school is starting soon and i usually use my phone for an alarm and i charge it overnight since its like the only time that im home.

thanks for any help

2. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

Nope, it's fine. It won't hurt the battery, so go ahead. :)

3. lilmitchmitch macrumors 6502

I would like to know this as well, for the same reason too! I have been charging my phone overnight for quite some time now, but did the couple battery drains at the beginning. My battery is pretty low at the end of a typical day anyhow.

4. Linuss macrumors regular

And what makes you think it would be detrimental?

5. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Heat and overcharging for the most part. However, most modern charging systems have programming built in to prevent damage from either.

6. sdsvtdriver macrumors 65816

Yes, it will slowly make your battery soft and squishy over time and then your battery won't charge anymore.

You're supposed to plug in the phone and then go grab a standard kitchen timer and set it for 1 hour. If the phone isn't charged at the end of one hour, set the time for 30 minutes and repeat until the phone is fully charged. This is all in the iPhone manual.

7. vegas-steven macrumors regular

Not to make the op feel bad but cmon now people. Are we reallo asking whether or not at this point in time it is possible to harm a devce made specifically for repeated charging?

It will harm your battery life to subject your phone to excessive heat and cold though. When you charge just don't Cher the phone up with anything. Overheating batteries can lead to rupture.

Your iPhone battery is nowhere near as big as a laptop battery though and does not provide the same voltage, so go ahead and charge it overnight with confidence.

8. crazyyankeefan macrumors regular

You're definitely over-thinking. Let me ask you this? Is it ok to keep your laptop plugged into the power cord?

9. svenito macrumors member

You typed that on the iPhone didn't you?? :D

10. txr0ckabilly macrumors 6502

no?

11. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

The iPhone is smart and stops taking power from the power supply once the battery is fully topped off. That's why when you charge it overnight and touch it in the morning, it's not hot: it's because it finished charging hours ago.

Some devices DON'T stop charging when they're full, and it's those you should be worried about.

12. oaxa macrumors newbie

Yeah? On the iPhone_user_guide.pdf pg 33-34 cover charging the battery.
    Only a vague sentence refers to battery life :"Rechargeable batteries have a limited number of charge cycles and may eventually need to be replaced."

Given the power demands on this phone it makes sense to plug it in whenever you can, unless it's going to seriously shorten the battery life.

So far the plug it and leave it gang hold the most compeling argument

13. vegas-steven macrumors regular

Oh I Cher did. I need a disclaimer in my sig that I may post from an iPhone/touch and that I really am not as dumb as the phones makes me look LOL!

14. vegas-steven macrumors regular

actually 100% yes.

Hightech batteries have chips in them so they will not overcharge. Laptop batteries start on fire because of leakage due to poor manufacturing ECt

15. crazyyankeefan macrumors regular

No, it's actually not the way how the Li-ion batteries are designed to charge frequently. The best way to keep the batteries in good condition is to keep the electrons inside flowing. So, always keeping the phone on the dock is not a good idea.

16. 1000GHz macrumors newbie

well my nano actually turns on when its done charging.

17. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I don't agree: http://www.apple.com/batteries/iphone.html

18. sdsvtdriver macrumors 65816

18+ months later, the sarcasm still owns you.

/thread

19. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Never saw this thread back in the day but isn't this what 99% of the population does with their mobile phones? :confused:

20. Wailord macrumors 6502

This.