Bad to leave plugged in?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jer446, Jun 28, 2008.

1. jer446 macrumors 6502a

I just got my macbook pro. It is my first laptop, and I love it. I remember years ago hearing that when you first get a new laptop, you should drain the battery, and then recharge it and some whole process. Is this true, or just myth? Additionally, when i am at school, is it bad to leave the computer plugged in all the time? Will it shorted battery life? I will basically be using this as a desktop, except when i come home.

2. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    I also leave mine plugged in as much as possible (I don't think its bad for it :confused:)

3. hood macrumors member

I might be wrong, but I leave mine plugged in as much as possible and have not heard reports that it should not be plugged in all the time.

4. !on macrumors member

well instructions say to remove when it's got the green light, mine was fully charged & then left it on o/night (i forgot) no problem, not even any overheating.

5. patrickmacrumor macrumors regular

You have to calibrate any new battery. See help for the steps. Then you need to repeat the process every month or so, especially if you don't use the MacBook on battery at all. I use mine on battery every now and then up to 50% and then charge it again.

I might be wrong, but not using the computer on battery from time to time will do more harm than good. At the office, people start complaining about their battery within the first two years that they don't get good battery life although they have not used the battery a lot.

6. Avenger23 macrumors regular

Avenger23