Bad to Worse-Dreaded Restore?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Albone, Oct 30, 2009.

1. Albone macrumors regular

I have a intel imac, running 10.5.11 and my system started beach balling and then crashing. It once did it 4X in 10 minutes! I took it to the Genius Bar and it crashed like that right in front of them. Five days later, they tell me nothing is wrong.

Fine.

I buy SL thinking that'll be the cure for what ails. SL is neat but here's some problems:
    -Every startup has my sound muted.
    -Anything having to do with Adobe Air bombs out after opening it, including Tweetdeck.
    -My copy of Suitcase X1 freezes up randomly, though more often than not, when Illustrator CS2 needs to auto-open a font, effectively hanging both programs up.
    -Occasionally, it's reset my wacom settings and freezes Entourage.

Before I took my mac into the Geniuses, I backed up my drive via Time Machine. Because of the above mentioned crap, I'm thinking of doing a full on restore. The problem is that I can't find my 10.5 install disc. Can I use the SL install disc to restore my 10.5 backup without actually installing SL?

EDIT: It might bear mentioning that the random system wide crashes that I reported in the first paragraph have stopped, though now replaced with the aforementioned.

Thanks!

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Ouch. First thing I'd try is resetting the PRAM (hold down Command+Option+P+R at startup, keep the keys held until you hear the startup noise two additional times).