Bad wifi on 1st gen MacBook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by dreamsINdigital, Sep 16, 2009.

1. dreamsINdigital macrumors 6502

I have the original 1st generation Core Duo MacBook, and I'm having some trouble with the wifi. Often, when I go to a new location like to a library or a friend's house, I won't be able to connect to the wifi (it will timeout) or it will connect, but the signal strength will be very weak or the internet will be very slow. It's not that it's out of range, I'm in an area that's known to have wifi and others around me can pick it up fine with full strength. At home, my wifi works fine, but the router is in the same room I use the computer in. Does anyone know why this is happening and how to fix it?

I'm not sure if this is related, but I've noticed that my MacBook seems to have a shorter range where it can pick up wifi signals than a lot of other laptops like PCs or the newer MacBooks. Has anyone with an older MacBook also noticed this? I know newer MacBooks have 802.11n cards, but I've seen older PC laptops around me that almost certainly don't have 802.11n cards, and they pick up wifi better than mine. I'm almost sure the networks I use are not using wireless N routers though.

Thanks

2. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

My flat mates 1 gen MacBook also has trouble connecting to wifi networks, and he gets poor reception compared to my late 2007 MacBook. I think it's just one of the issues that comes with a 1st gen model. Also, wireless N routers are backwards compatible, so that's not the problem.

3. dreamsINdigital thread starter macrumors 6502

4. dreamsINdigital thread starter macrumors 6502

Just to follow up, I've opened up the Mac and looked around. I've reseated the card and checked the wires. Everything looks fine, but it's still having issues with connections. I'm probably going to replace the card. Is the BroadCom BCM94321MC the best N card for me to buy since new N cards and Macs have three antennas, while mine only have two antennas?

5. oldtime macrumors regular

I have the CD MacBook as well and I don't have any problem with the wireless.