Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rbujher

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2020
So I tested the following after I noticed that the WiFi range from my brand new iPhone 11 Pro Max seems to be worse than other devices I use with my current internet connections for years now without any issues.

I started a ping test at the same spot (different locations and thus different Access Points and ISP’s) and time to google.com with Windows 10 laptops and ManageEngine Ping Tool for iOS.

Access Point: EnGenius ECB1750 (tested with laptop and 2 iPhones)

Qualcomm Atheros QCA9565
1.png

iPhone 11 Pro Max with iOS version 13.3
2.png

iPhone 6 Plus with iOS 12.4.4
3.png

Access Point: Aerohive HiveAp 130 (tested with laptop and iPhone 11 Pro Max)

Intel Wireless-AC 9560 160MHz
4.png

iPhone 11 Pro Max with iOS version 13.3
5.png

My iPhone 11 Pro Max always gives worse results and even time-outs.

I resetted the network settings to no avail.

The first Access Point (EnGenius ECB1750) I tested with is on 2.4GHz. The second (Aerohive HiveAp 130) is on 5GHz and seems to be worse, but on both frequencies it's unstable compared to any other device.

Recently I updated to iOS 13.3.1, but results are the same. Changelog doesn't mention anything to do with WiFi.

I checked that my Win10 laptop and iPhone 11 Pro Max have the same dBm (I read RSSI info from Access Point) when testing.

I also tried to do some testing with other iPhone 11 Pro Max devices at stores, but all those Live Demo Units are locked from installing any app. I was able to logon with my test-Apple ID, but downloading apps always is greyed out.
This way I am not able to test properly with an app like ManageEngine Ping Tool for iOS. I would set-up a hotspot with a third phone and then ping that gateway address.

What could be going on here? Does anyone else experience the same when testing this?

Last edited:
Reactions: max2

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
I’ve been experiencing some WiFi issues as well. I know extremely little about this stuff so I’ll explain as best I can.
If I’m messing around on my iPhone 11 going from app to app once in a while the WiFi stops working when I switch apps. So if I’m on safari and switch to twitter the twitter feed won’t load. If I then jump to Speedtest to check on my connection the test will fail. If I turn off WiFi for a few minutes and then turn it back on everything is fine. I just get these random WiFi drops. Even stranger is these WiFi drops show up in my router logs as dos attacks, although I’m not sure what that means. Very odd, and I can’t back this up with any explanation, but it seems like my iPhone 11 somehow kills my WiFi once in a while.

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015
Weirdly it seems to be fine now but i did reformat or reset my iphone 11 twice.

jschnee21

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2018
Why do you care about ping times on a phone? Versus DL/UL performance, reliability, and RF performance / sensitively?

The wireless ping times from my XSM, 11, and 11 Pro are the same as what I get from my laptops. Generally 2-7ms for Gigabit FIOS.

metalsiren

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2017
Not to mention ICMP is low priority, some devices will show crappy ping but work fine when it’s real data. For example Cisco WiFi phones. So I am not sure how the iPhone handles it. Sustained dats testing like iperf or something is better than just ping.

Not sure if there is anything like that on iOS just something to keep in mind.

jschnee21

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2018
Always use separate SSID’s for 2.4 and 5.8 GHz networks — never use band steering. Don’t enable airtime fairness.

Only join your phone and 5.8 GHz devices to the 5.8GHz network which should be set to N and AC or AC only, WPA2/AES

Be sure your signal strength is at least -80 dBA, on as quiet of a channel as possible. Use 40 or 80 MHz for 5GHz (never 160) and 20 for 2.4 (never 40).

All backhaul should be Ethernet or MOCA or PowerLine — not wireless.

Still, at best, your only going to get 400-500 MHz of OSI layer 5 (aka Application lever) performance and then only if your in the same room as an Ethernet connected APA. Often this is more like 150-300Mbit/sec.

FYI, the TP-Link EAP225v3’s work really well and they are cheap. Put one on each floor (staggered) or two per floor for large ranches. And turn down the transmit power to medium. Remember the transmit power from your phone is the weakest link.

jschnee21

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2018
I always disable Wi-Fi on my router (FIOS Quantum) and use dedicated, hardwired AP’s located throughout the house (for optimal placement) — just like at work.

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015
I always disable Wi-Fi on my router (FIOS Quantum) and use dedicated, hardwired AP’s located throughout the house (for optimal placement) — just like at work.

Which brand and model APs do you use and how many?

jschnee21

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2018
Three posts up.

But here’s the link TP-Link EAP225 version 3

TP-Link Omada AC1350 Wireless Access Point - Seamless Roaming, Gigabit, MU-Mimo, Beamforming, Poe Powered, Free PoE Injector, Free Managing Software, Free Facebook/SMS Registration Portal(Eap225) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0781YXFBT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_S6LvEb4Y69J48

With the OC200 management appliance (which is optional, but I highly recommend it)

TP-Link Omada Cloud Controller - Working with All Omada Eaps, No Extra Cost, Poe Powered, USB Port(Oc200) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GX6GVB6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_E9LvEbDQTWVMV

I have 2 AP’s in my 2200 sqft home. One per floor, staggered. I live in a bi-level or raised ranch.

I would prefer to have three AP’s, but I have too much interference from my neighbors on some of the channels. Hopefully WI-FI 6’es SSID coloring will help this in the future (2-3 yrs). Note that these AP’s are not Wi-Fi 6 (which you don’t need right now).

Generally I see 150-250 Mbit/sec on my XSM, unless I’m in the same room as the AP in which case it’s more like 250-450 Mbit/sec.

All of my TV streamers are hardwired (Roku over MOCA). But my kids stream content on their iPads and phones 24x7. I’ve got about 50 devices in total.

Works great.

rbujher

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2020
I do care about those ping times, because I found out that only my iPhone 11 Pro Max has unstable ping times and other devices don't. I started investigating this, because I notice that my iPhone 11 Pro Max doesn't seem to detect AP's in the neighorborhood as well either. From this point I try to find out if I'm the only one having this issue, because I don't like to have my phone send to Apple for nothing.

I am aware of the best practices that jschnee21 mentions and applied those.

I know about low priority for ICMP packets, does anyone have a better testing method for this iPhone?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.