Badge on Settings icon won't go away

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by heycal, Jul 7, 2014.

1. heycal, Jul 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2014

heycal macrumors 6502a

I got a notification today on my iphone 4 that there was some sort of update to install. But when I click on it says it cannot be installed because it requires at least 1GG of storage, and asks me to delete items in storage to make more storage available.

But I have no interest in deleting a bunch of stuff to make room for this new update. (It says I currently have only 172 MB available.)

I don't feel I need or want the update, but when I try and go on with my life the red little badge is there on the settings icon with the number '1', a constant reminder of this unfinished business. I tried re-booting but it didn't help.

How the heck can I make that icon go away and leave me be?

2. Cool MBA macrumors newbie

Cool MBA

have you tried clearing out the notification from Notification Centre perhaps?

3. heycal thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't see any ways to do that when I go into the notification center menu.

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

This is Apple's little way of nagging you to upgrade to iOS 7. Or if you're already on iOS 7, to a later version of it.

If you were jailbroken you could remove this easily. But, you probably aren't. In which case, you're stuck with that little badge until you either update or decide to ignore it.

There's actually a lawsuit ,I think, against Apple for invasion of privacy. Some users did not want to update, but the update, although not applied, downloaded to their phone and there is no way to remove it. On a 16GB iPhone this takes up over a GB of space that you can't delete.

5. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

There is no way to clear it from Notification Center as Settings does not appear in NC. The only thing you can do to get rid of the '1' is to update.

----------

1) I don't think it's "invasion of privacy," as downloading a software update does nothing to invade the user's privacy..

2) As of 7.1, iOS software updates that have been download but not installed show up under the "Usage" section in Settings, and can be deleted, thus freeing up the space.

6. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

1. I'm just reporting what I heard. I do however, think that the auto download of an update was not a bright idea, unless the user asked for it. Which is probably what led to 2.

2. Didn't know that. I'm still on 6.1. Thanks!

7. heycal thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't see this option. Where is it? (I'm on an iphone 4, btw).

So you folks are saying that only way to clear the badge is to download the update? Problem is, I only have now 353 MB available, and it said I needed 1 GB. If 1 GB equals about a 1,000 MB's, I'd have to delete either the 3G's of music I have on the phone, or a couple of dozens apps, to free up 1 GB.

I'd really rather do neither. Is there really no other way to make the badge disappear?

8. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

This option is only there if the update has automatically downloaded. However, since you don't have enough space on your phone to download it, it will not have automatically downloaded. So the good news is you haven't lost space to an update you don't want to install.

No, there is no other way to get rid of the badge. You would not need to delete 3GB of music, only 700MB, to get 1GB of space if you already have 353MB available. Once you install the update, you will get the that 1GB back, and can re-download whatever music you deleted to make the room.

9. heycal thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh, interesting! So I can delete some music, do the download, and then put it back on my phone? Thanks, I may do that then.

10. heycal, Jul 11, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2014

heycal thread starter macrumors 6502a

oops, new issue

So I cleared up some space by deleting some music and did the software update. But now suddenly my existing music is acting all funny: I can't really control what song I want to play anymore, and when I hit forward to see the next song, it starts scrolling through all the songs, almost like a roulette wheel, before finally landing on some random one.

How can I make my music behave and be under my control again? Seems like some sort of glitch. Re-booting did not help.

Maybe I'll start a seperate thread for this (the badge issue has been resolved!).

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You will probably need to restore it with iTunes.

12. heycal thread starter macrumors 6502a

Delete everything and start over?

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yep.
    That issue with the music app is just a software bug that wont go away till you restore with itunes.
    You can use your previous backup and see if everything works fine.

14. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

The music app is a bit weird - mine has messed up twice on iOS 7. You don't need to do a complete restore - just uncheck 'Sync Music' in iTunes, let it remove it all, then check it again and let it sync back.

For future reference, if you update the phone in iTunes rather that OTA, it requires less free space, as it doesn't have to download the software to the device.