Badly need help :(

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by gsusx, Apr 1, 2012.

1. gsusx macrumors newbie

Hi All,

Was wondering if anyone has a suggestion.

My dock connector is no longer working. I opened up my iPhone 4 and replaced it but have the same problem. Basically it charges very very very slowly (But doesn't show the lightning sign) and won't connect to my mac or pc.

The issue I have is this, it's still under warranty I wanna chance my arm and take it back to apple and see if they'll replace it, problem I have is it's jailbroken, and I can't "Un Jailbreak" without connecting to a pc.

Have tried doing a "Erase All" on the phone but get the spinnig wheel (just gets stuck on it) and have also tried upgrading to IOS 5.1 via OTA but that doesn't work either. (Applications folder check apparently)

So I'm really stuck, I need to un jailbreak the device so apple would have no way of telling that I've jailbroken it before. Has anyone got any ideas on how I could go about doing this ??

Would really appreciate any help you can give.

Many thanks

Chris

2. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Unless the apple genus completely misses the jailbreak your pretty much out of luck !

If your iPhone has other failings like a failed home button/smashed screen then you could ask for a replacement at a cost to yourself. ;)

Do you have home insurance that covers your iPhone ;)

3. gsusx thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi thanks for the reply.

Well the mic isnt working now, I don't mind paying for a replacement, I might just take it in and see what they say, delete all signs of a jb see how I get on ...

Christ this is a pain in the arse.

4. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

As not to deter wannabe jail breakers your issue is kinda unique as most iPhones can be returned to stock without real issue, as long as you can hook it upto iTunes in some way !

Good luck.

Perhaps you could update your thread with the outcome ?

5. gsusx thread starter macrumors newbie

It's a nightmare :(

I'm going to replace the original dock connector tonight, then put it in rice for 2 days see if that helps at all ..... If only i could bloody wipe it i wouldnt care :(

I will update though thanks for the help !!

6. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

If the home button and lock button are working, just put it into DFU mode! Then it won't even start up, and they won't be able to see if it's jailbroken.

7. twisted-pixel macrumors 6502a

twisted-pixel

you're going to put it in rice??? why?? this is usually an attempt to dry out a phone that has been water damaged...which you don't mention anything of in your post

8. gsusx thread starter macrumors newbie

apologies

I cant be sure its been water damaged, its never ever been submerged, in water, but obviously having read about faulty dock connectors etc, they mention water damaged. the back label on the dock connector is pink, but it's never ever been in water (unless my daughter has dropped it in the bath and not told me !)

9. Dipzb90 macrumors member

you could try putting it into DFU mode, the only way to take it out is by plugging it in (they cant do this as your dock isnt working) therefore they wont know your phone is jailbroken and will hopefuly replace it

Good Luck

10. jamesjingyi macrumors 6502a

jamesjingyi

11. wanzer macrumors member

For someone who isn't sure about water damage, you do know a lot about water damage indicators and sticking it in rice to dry it out :D Personally I would never jump to conclusions of water damage unless I know for sure it's been in water...otherwise, I would just assume a dusty connector, faulty connection, etc. Also, don't blame your daughter like that, it makes you sound like a douche...

12. gsusx thread starter macrumors newbie

I appreciate the reply.

First off I know about it because I read about it, have researched it, on reading about faulty dock connectors one of the common causes is water damage, I can't discount this. I'd be an idiot if I didn't explore all avenues, I look at the obvious things first (Dust, link, something wedged in there) next I look at faulty dock due to a bent pin, finally water damage..... got to keep options open.

Second, the daughter thing was sarcasm !!! My daughters an angel :)

13. labman macrumors 604

labman

your having hardware issues not really hacking. Have you tried talking to apple you might find a nice genus or for. $199 they will replace it for you. There are also professional repair places on line. Might be worth it then trying to guess the problem. Also you can do a search how to check for water damage.

14. confucious macrumors 6502

Put it in DFU mode and, like others before, you might find it miraculously gets recognised by iTunes...

15. gsusx thread starter macrumors newbie

it kinda is a hack question because the main issue i have is trying to de jailbreak it.

but if someone wants to move it to the appropriate forum feel free

16. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

this happened to my 1st gen Ipod touch

I have to REALLY jam the cable into the port and somehow keep it in that position, not an easy thing to do.

luckily all I use it for is a bathroom player in a dock anyway and if I support it really far forward it makes enough of a connection to charge and play.

how any of this helps you is beyond me, just thought i'd share

17. HickDead macrumors 6502a

HickDead

Similar thing happened to my mom's 4S after 2 weeks of purchase. All of a sudden it would no longer charge when connected. I ended up doing a full/complete restore and the issue immediately went away and hasn't come back since then.

18. gsusx thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi All,

As promised an update.

Contacted dock connector seller, explained the connector I had appeared to be faulty. He sent a new one out, replaced it, 20 mins later hey presto up and running and back to normal.

So it appears the original dock was faulty, but also the first replacement I received, panic over, and thank you all for your assistance.