Baffled by Mail setup....

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cleung, Sep 22, 2008.

1. cleung macrumors regular

I'm so confused by how my Mail is being setup. For years, I've been using Mail but all my accounts are set up as POP. MobileMe is the only non-POP set up until last week when I converted my gmail from POP to IMAP.

Since then, I've noticed that under Mail, I have MAILBOXES (which contain all my accounts, including Gmail), ON MY MAC (which now has a Sent box for Gmail), ADDRESS@MAC.COM (unchanged since last week) and GMAIL (new since IMAP conversion). Under GMAIL, I have ALL my boxes within GMAIL, including Inbox, Draft, Sent, Spam, Starred, Trash, Deleted, Junk, etc. Basically, everything that's on the gmail server. So all my gmail mail appears both in MAILBOXES and GMAIL. Is this normal? I've also noticed that mail I sent from my gmail account when I use MAIL appears both in the Sent Mail folder under GMAIL and MAILBOXES but the mail I sent on my iphone or if I use webmail only appears under the GMAIL/Sent Mail folder. I guess this makes sense but it's awfully confusing. Is there a way to consolidate this? I also noticed that draft mail gets treated in a similar way although I was drafting a very important e-mail yesterday and now I can't find it in ANY draft folder I have and I know I've pressed "Save Draft" multiple times.

2. cleung thread starter macrumors regular

Also, the columns that appear under ALL the folders, with the exception of "Sent" and "Draft" under MAILBOXES show the "From" column. So the "Sent" and "Draft" folders under ADDRESS@MAC.COM, GMAIL and ON MY MAC all show the "From" field. If I change it to "To" field, it changes it for ALL the folders including my inbox. Why can't I change the field for each particular folder?