Baffled by new 1.1.1 update

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by docal97, Sep 28, 2007.

1. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

I am somewhat surprised by the contents of the new update.

I expected the wifi store of course like we were all told. I realize that this is to maximize revenues for Apple and i have no problems with that. It is a nice feature to have although i won't be using it much, perhaps others will do so.

What i can't understand is the lack of updates to the core programs on the phone. I am sure that Apple has been inundated with requests for multiple email deletion, texts to multiple recipients, notes syncing, etc. To not update these issues, which are currently standard in every phone/smartphone, yet roll out an update with tv out, for example, makes no sense to me. I realize that they want to keep certain features consistant between the Touch and the iphone, but c'mon, fix the core issues also.

The only thing that i can think about is that there will will be another update with the release of leopard, tying some of these features to the new os.
    The major improvement for me with this update is that the speakerphone and handset volume does appear to be significantly louder.

2. tsvb macrumors 6502

I honestly think that they probably have a lot of features ready but are waiting for the release of Leopard.

3. aristobrat macrumors G4

I wouldn't be surprised if there *wasn'*t that much included in a Leopard update, just so Apple would still have stuff to roll out in updates every 2-3 months after that.

You know, to keep the iPhone in the news, and people interested...

The major improvement I like the most is being able to click home 2x when the phone is locked and controlling the iPod (without having to slide to unlock). At work, people are always interrupting me, and this makes pausing the iPod a lot, lot quicker for me. :)

4. sanford macrumors 65816

Or beyond. Movies, books, music, sometimes video games are often ready to go months in advance of their release dates, but are held to optimal times. Some theory, generally: spread out the new free stuff so you feel like you are regularly getting some new things, rather than getting a lot of stuff once a year, which you forget all about in two weeks.

5. brinycbri macrumors 6502a

Honestly? I don't believe Apple will come out with any real big updates..just small one offs once in a while...we've had a lot of wishful thinking and all of proven us wrong..there's a consistent message here...apple is saying "s*ck up with what you have" and don't expect anything large

6. docal97 thread starter macrumors 6502a

docal97

u know, i do expect some of the things mentioned above in future versions of the phone; i am hoping for just some basic software updates to correct core issues like we have all been hoping for for some time.

I think that alot of us have been disappointed not to see these basic improvements released b/c they seem so easy to correct, and would make the phone so much easier to use. i certainly thought alot of these things would have been part of this recent release.

7. joeconvert macrumors 6502

I know this is a popular expectation, but what about the Windows users? The new features can't be completely OS dependent. - And if it's not, waiting for Leopard and/or requiring Leopard will be the latest in Apple's transformation into Microsoft.

8. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

Well Apple also delayed Leopard for the iPhone. So perhaps any future big updates are being postponed so they can put due focus on Leopard. That or they have not many bigger updates planned. Either way, I'm still pretty happy with my phone. :p

9. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

Don't worry, I don't think anythings being delayed for Leopard compatibility.

It's just some folks can't fall over themselves fast enough making excuses for Apple and their apathy with these sorts of things...

10. cgray24 macrumors member

id be willing to bet there will be very little OS specific features on the Iphone, if any. They dont do it with iPod. I think they will remain mutually exclusive to get both markets.

I think any new big features will come, either before christmas shopping season, or next year. Whenever sales slow way down.

They already have your (and my) money, they dont care about making you happy, just selling more unit and right now units are still selling.