iPhone 7(+) Baffling problem - screen went large, can't figure out how to reduce.

jmm55

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 20, 2018
Last night when I went to bed, my iphone 7+ was working just fine and was on sleep mode. When I woke up and tried to turn it on, the screen was zoomed in such that I could only see a corner of whatever was on the screen. I was unable to slide the screen around to access anything. I did manage to get the control center open, but again, I can't navigate to anything. I tried turning off the phone, hoping it would resolve itself, but when I hold the power button down and the "slide to power off" appears, the slider is out of view and I can't access it.

Any ideas how I can solve this?

jmm55

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 20, 2018
Sure, but I have no way of accessing settings. As I said, the screen is magnified, as if only 1/9th of it is showing, and I cannot slide anything into view to gain access to any apps or settings.

jeyf

macrumors 65816
Jan 20, 2009
its a feature! Must be how you hold it....

do a "Microsoft reset"; depress the dwn volume + right side buttons (i have a iphone7) at the same time. Let the buttons up when you get an apple icon.

rbertoniere

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2019
Do a soft reboot

Here's how to force restart/soft reset your iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus: Press and hold BOTH the sleep/wake and volume down buttons at the same time. Do this for at least 10 seconds, until the Apple logo appears.

jeyf

macrumors 65816
Jan 20, 2009
i would have to do the research thingy but likely yes. Good idea.

with ios12 maybe 13 too there were earbud issues leaving Siri continuously enabled
it is not a bad idea to do an occasional iPhone reset

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Last night when I went to bed, my iphone 7+ was working just fine and was on sleep mode. When I woke up and tried to turn it on, the screen was zoomed in such that I could only see a corner of whatever was on the screen. I was unable to slide the screen around to access anything. I did manage to get the control center open, but again, I can't navigate to anything. I tried turning off the phone, hoping it would resolve itself, but when I hold the power button down and the "slide to power off" appears, the slider is out of view and I can't access it.

Any ideas how I can solve this?
Try pressing the home button 3 times. Alternatively, you can also try tapping on the screen a few times (potentially with more than one finger).

jmm55

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 20, 2018
do a "Microsoft reset"; depress the dwn volume + right side buttons (i have a iphone7) at the same time. Let the buttons up when you get an apple icon.
Thanks to everyone for the replies. Volume down + power button for a few seconds worked. I see there were several possible solutions, but this was the first one I tried.

Reactions: Mr.C and jeyf

aldo82

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2011
sounds like this was accessibili8ty zoom. Just double tap the screen with 3 fingers to zoom in and out. Hold with 3 fingers to move around when zoomed in. You can turn it off in accessibility settings

jeyf

macrumors 65816
Jan 20, 2009
the 3finger thingy worked
also
i saw for a brief second a screen selecting some zoom options so there may be more floating around in the interface. The screen poped up unexpected and there for a second. Would be nice to be able to turn some of this off if you dont really plan to use it as opposed to stumbling into it.

Reactions: jmm55

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
the 3finger thingy worked
also
i saw for a brief second a screen selecting some zoom options so there may be more floating around in the interface. The screen poped up unexpected and there for a second. Would be nice to be able to turn some of this off if you dont really plan to use it as opposed to stumbling into it.
Check on Accessibility Shortcut in Settings > Accessibility