Baffling problem with 4S wifi. Help please!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by rapidj, Oct 18, 2011.

1. rapidj macrumors regular

I bought two 4s and one 4 for my family last Friday. Aside with some porting of phone numbers to Sprint issues, it's been pretty smooth. Last night however, I discovered that both my 4s and my wifes 4 were having trouble getting the phones to stay on the wifi network in our house. I would see the connection on the phones and then they would blink out and 3G network would take over.

When i went back into network connections, it would appear to connect to network, but quickly lose link as soon as I tried to open Safari or Mail or other similar apps. 3G works fine.

I don't believe it's our router since my son's 4S works fine, as do several other devices on the network. It seems to work fine on my companies' wifi. No drops.

I tried resetting all settings, network settings and erase all content and settings, and ultimately restoring phone to factory settings. All to no avail. Wifi will initially connect, then lose it within moments.

Please help, I'm at wits end

Kory

2. jasvncnt macrumors 6502

Just for the hell of it, did you try rebooting your router? I have had issues in the past where my GF's phone would be fine but mine would have issues with the wifi. Most of the time a reboot of the router fixed it. It's an easy step to just try.

3. rapidj thread starter macrumors regular

I considered that, but I figured since my son's phone was working fine as well as an iPad and laptop, it must be in the phone settings. I was also hesitant to add another step that might disrupt wifi for the rest of the devices. I'm open to anything at this point

4. jasvncnt macrumors 6502

I assume you had phones before these that connected to your wireless....You don't have anything in the router settings that only allow so many connections? At this point i would say just power down the router. Give it a few seconds and plug it back in. It shouldn't have an effect on anything else. If you want just disconnect anything else that is connected to the wireless first then shut it down.

5. rapidj thread starter macrumors regular

No, shouldn't be any limitations in router. The three of us had first gen iphones before and all three new ones were working fine until yesterday

6. jasvncnt macrumors 6502

That does sound weird. I wish i had some other things to try but that's the only one that comes to mind at this point.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Try connecting to other wifi's to see if they connect fine or not.
    If they're giving you problems with other routers then its the phone, if they connect fine elsewhere its your router that doesnt play well with the 4S wifi chip.

8. jasvncnt macrumors 6502

Looks like there are others that are having issues with wifi after upgrading to ios5. But the fix is isnt the same in each case. Some had to reboot the router, while others had to change the mode in the router settings.

9. rapidj thread starter macrumors regular

I'm able to connect to works wifi OK. If it Router doesn't play well with 4s IOS, wouldn't my son's 4s have a similar problem? I'll try rebooting the router tonight and see where that gets me

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Reboot the router and see if there's any software updates for the router.
    Also do a reset network settings on your iphone to see if that helps.

11. jasvncnt macrumors 6502

12. rapidj thread starter macrumors regular

*update*

OK, turns out it was a router issue. I have a U-verse router and called my buddy who's a regional manager for U-verse. Once he found out I'm using a Sprint iPhone, he said that was the issue. He ported in remotely and change the settings. After restarting, all worked like a charm. Now it's possible it still might have worked by restarting the router as was mentioned here, but I let him do his thing. Thanks to all who offered suggestions, I am now a happy man with a happy wife (and that's most important, wouldn't you agree?)

Hope this helps anyone with future issues

Kory

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

14. toiday macrumors regular

I would put iPhone over wife :apple: :p

15. rapidj thread starter macrumors regular