Bag for [aluminium] macbook that will also fit A4 documents? And misc gear

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by LFC.SL, Oct 26, 2008.

1. LFC.SL macrumors member

Hi there

Recent lurker, first post

I have ordered the new aluminium macbook. Pending delivery, I am busying myself with thoughts on accessories

My thought was to buy a 13.3" bag but I am wondering if such a sized bag would also allow for A4 notepads and A4 document wallets to fit. I currently own a Crumpler Boomer L for my 15.4" HP notebook, and a document wallet inside that leaves a 3 finger gap on one side
    Does anyone own or know of a bag designed for 13.3" notebooks which also allows for A4 documents to fit?

Alternatively I was thinking of buying a better bag designed for 15.4" notebooks with more storage space (inside pockets/side pockets, zipped front pocket etc for the 4G Nano and case of ESW9 headphone). Now obviously this would mean the macbook would be sliding around so I was thinking if I go down this route then I would need to pick up a sleeve, but that is a separate discussion

Shame Jack Spade is not in the UK and I do not care to get into enquiring about importing

Thank you. Shoulder/messenger bag style please :apple:

Feel free to throw in both 13.3" and 15.4" bag recommendations

2. vorkorsigan macrumors member

Have a look at this.

https://www.crumpler.ca/flash/flash.aspx#/english/product-details/hee-goer-hg08a.html

The Hee-goer, I'm using for my 15" MBP which it just takes. MB should be no problem. It takes MBP, touch, chargers, leads, A4 files and everything else you need for a week 5000km from home (except clothes!).

ps could be a different name in UK, I remember that I couldn't find a name when I moved here (Canada) earlier in the year and came to the conclusion that either they changed the name or updated. There is a UK store and you can get them from the UK Apple store.

3. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

You're on the right track with the 15" bag. Rather than bother about your MB sliding around, get a separate sleeve and you'll be covered!

4. LFC.SL thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, keep them coming

Looks like I will have to go down the 15.4" laptop bag route and buy a sleeve for the macbook as well, as 13.3" bags are too tight for A4 files

Will just need to make sure I buy one of the "smaller" ones out there

I did see this: http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=1703482&postcount=82

Perfect except its a 3 year old post and the company/bag does not exist any more seemingly :p

5. vorkorsigan macrumors member

Hi again

I used the rucksack version from this company for 3 years traveling round Europe with a Dell 14" (I know, but its a company machine). The bag is still in one piece and did everything needed for protection but I tried the Crumpler and immediately got one. Much more comfortable and easier to use.

6. LFC.SL thread starter macrumors member

Continuing my quest, I think I have *narrowed it down*. Now looking for a compact 15.4" bag

STM Loft and STM Alley. Loft review. I saw the Alley only in the Apple store and it looked OK. Never knew you could get that orientation but quite like the idea. Also saw this Case Logic bag in another store as a no-frills option

And online only whilst browsing: Belkin, Case Logic and Vaude Gustav

Finally am wondering if I am cool enough to pull off leather :p

7. georgina.carr macrumors newbie

Hi, i did with my 12" iBook (and hopefully my new Macbook on Thursday) what someone above suggested, i got a 13" sleeve from the apple store for around £20 and i put the laptop in that and then i got a 15" Crumpler bag from T.K.Maxx (they are rare in there though, so if cost isn't an issue theres always online) and put the sleeve in the laptop compartment in there it meant that my iBook was nice and safe and i could put wires and things in the gap at the side without sacrificing pocket space for pens and post its and other Uni essentials :D Plus i also found that when i just put the laptop straight into the padded pocket the battery came out, i don't imagine this will be much of a problem with the new latch system and things instead of just the little turner on my iBook, but its better to be safe then sorry!!

p.s. my crumpler is called the sophisticator, but i think its discontinued, has loads of pockets though!!

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Don't all 13.3" bags hold A4 documents? My small STM bag can hold A4 papers and notepads, with 1.5 fingers remaining along the width of the bag.

PS: I've owned 2 of these bags. THe first one lasted maybe 2.5 years, but it broke. Unfortunately, where it broke was kind of important. One of the 2 clasps that hold the shoulder strap to the bag itself broke, so while I was walking with the bag at my side, it just fell to the ground when one clasp broke.

Afterwards, I actually went looking for another bag. I was furious with my old bag. At the end of the day, I really couldn't find another bag that was as good as the STM, and looked as good either. I ended up buying the same bag. :p

My new one has been great so far. Also, it's much prettier in person than in most photos. The brown is a rich brown, while the orange isn't as bad. If the brown were lighter, it would be an ugly bag. This bag is far from ugly. ;)

9. sansa11 macrumors member

Well, I like Timbuk2 bags if you want to go with the messenger style, but a few days ago I saw someone with this very nice Booq bag. They have vertical and horizontal styles for their messenger bags as well.

http://www.booqbags.com/

10. LFC.SL thread starter macrumors member

Good to hear. I am going to go Regent Street at the weekend with an A4 document wallet to road test bags :p

Also saw this. Wow I need to be slapped for the expensive tastes :D

11. maxhk macrumors newbie

Sleeves?

I'm not looking for messenger bags, but will the MBP fit snugly into THIS?

12. LFC.SL thread starter macrumors member

Ended up buying this from Apple Store Regent Street:
    http://www.knomobags.com/eshop/knomo_product.asp?SS=8&C=111&P=270

Pics decent enough on the manufacturer's site. I may take pics with the Canon G9 once the Macbook gets here for an idea of fit

Just to emphasise, I deliberately bought a larger bag. I was in the store with my A4 wallet testing out bags under the gaze of people queuing up for the Genius Bar starting me out :p

13. kanga macrumors newbie

I see you've already chosen a bag now, but they do stock Jack Spade bags in Selfridges and Aria.

14. LFC.SL thread starter macrumors member

They do? I hardly go in that place :p Damn

Will have a look when I get back to Manchester for xmas. Cannot be bothered with going Central again. Too busy this time of year and you are packed in like a sardine on the tube -_-

15. pallos100 macrumors newbie

Perfect Bag for New Aluminum Unibody Macbooks

For those of you who want a more stylish bag then Incase or Timbuk2 that works for both men and woman check out Malcolm Fontier bags. I bought this bag a month ago and could not be happier with the design, size, pockets and material.
    I am in the process of changing over from a Powerbook G4 15in to a New Aluminum Macbook. I was Pleasently suprised to find that my new notebook fits perfectly in my Fontier "Guide" bag. I used to lug around a larger Tumi bag but now have a nice compact package with the Macbook 13 and the Fontier. The bag has a neoprene sleeve with a flip over velcro holder. It also is a really cool coated canvas that I would bet is pretty water resistant. Couldn't be happier with it. Get the black bag which has a sleeve.
    [​IMG]

Check it out at
    http://www.malcolmfontier.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=30

16. O. Frabjous-Dey macrumors regular

Booq bags are a little costly, but they're extremely durable and well-built and they look awesome.