bag of hurt??

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by halledise, Aug 7, 2011.

1. halledise, Aug 7, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  2. lfc macrumors regular

"the freedom and the elegance of the Mac is gone forever in this OS update."

Why?

3. halledise thread starter macrumors 65816

Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
    it's become a locked system with very limited customisation.

not even a free erase-and-install option, except thru a very Microsoft-like recovery disc and reinstall via internet according to Apple's strict controls.

not even a command+J to set default options globally.

I could go on, but what is the point.

Microsoft/Apple

after 12+ years of Mac evangelisation I'm not prepared to stick my neck out anymore.
    stay with SnowLeopard - wish I could recommend Lion, but apart from a few neat features it's not a step forward for the average Joe in my humble opinion - just a more complex array of baffling smoke and mirrors in what we've always been used to as being simplicity and intuitiveness in an OS.

just 1 or 2 fingers out of a possible 5 :D

4. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

...right...

5. lfc macrumors regular

Customisation is no different from Snow Leopard AFAIK.

You could buy the USB to do a clean install or simply via the recovery partition as you mentioned. I don't see anything wrong with that? Also burning an image is not Microsoft-y? It's not obvious but it's easy to find out how and easy to do if you wanted to do it. Simply secondary click > show package contents > find InstallESD.iso open in disk utility and burn.

Command+J works fine for me. You could easily go to View > Show view options as well.

Also I believe auto-save is not adding complexity. Hiding the Library folder to avoid accidental user damage is not adding complexity. Making it easy to go through past changes to files (versions) is not adding complexity...

I could go on, but what is the point.

6. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

LOL. Actually he said Blu-Ray was great for consumers, so I don't know what your point was supposed to be with that.

And as others have mentioned, customization is exactly the same as it was in Snow Leopard, which you seem to like.

7. Nosoforos macrumors member

Or even better, out of the box. Just little things like being able to adjust the size of the icons in the finder sidebar. They were always to small in SL.
    All the other stuff can still be tweaked with 3rd party software, jus like I did in SL.

8. halledise thread starter macrumors 65816

Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
    some can, some can't.

all owners of a Thunderbolt Air can't, since the version of Lion that ships with them is not available from the AppStore.
    it is a later version than the Gold Master Lion released there.

thus it becomes a $30 download that cannot be installed on a Thunderbolt Air or any Mac that ships with Lion preinstalled.

it is a rort and Apple are very naughty to do this when its loyal customers have shelled out good $ for the latest product.
    I ran into issues and so needed to reinstall the OS which put me over my ISP's allowance for the month and already cost me extra $