Bag strap broke, dented mbp, crap

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by farmermac, Jan 9, 2013.

1. farmermac, Jan 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2013

farmermac macrumors 6502a

Today on my way home from work my laptop bag's should strap buckle broke. The bag tumbled and left a nice dent on my mbp's lower case and screen. Crappy! I'm looking for a new bag that will hopefully protect a little more. Valuable lessons learned here folks...don't cut corners to save money on your laptop bag.

Bonus: was contemplating selling my mbp to buy a retina mbp before this happened. It probably lost 200-300$ in value

Attached Files:

2. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

Ive got a sweet Oakley backpack for sale in the marketplace :D

sorry to here about the drop:(

3. amit715 macrumors member

you lost way more than 200-300 hundred bro..srry it happened

4. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

I looked into a huge number of backpacks over a year ago when I was in the market for a new one. I looked at Oakley, but there were too many reports of failing seams to meet my fancy, so I passed on that brand. Some of the other brands I checked out include Swiss Gear, MEC, REI, Patagonia, and several others that I can't remember at the moment. I researched for two to three weeks before seriously looking at Maxpedition. Then, I went back and forth for another month or two over their prices, and in the end got one.

I've had it now for about a year and half and it still looks new with daily use. It fits the Lenovo ThinkPad W510 laptop that I have for work, and when needed, it easily fits my 2012 15" MBP. This is the one I went with: http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/Kodiak-S-Type-Gearslinger-12p1598.htm

Here are a few more that should be able to hold a 15" rMBP ...

Messenger style
    http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/SPATHA-Laptop-Case-13p1894.htm
    http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/LARKSPUR-MESSENGER-BAG-Small-13p1240.htm

Backpack
    http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?IDProduct=110&IDCategory=12

5. inaka macrumors 6502

Yikes, those are some of the ugliest laptop bags I have ever seen.

6. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

Because when I see somebody drop their laptop and cause hundreds of dollars in damage as a result of a crappy bag, the one thing I want to do is recommend a sexy looking laptop bag, instead of one that won't break. :D

7. inaka macrumors 6502

It's not either/or.

There are plenty of laptop bags in the market that offer excellent durable protection and don't look horrible. Just sayin.

8. ClassObject, Jan 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2013

ClassObject macrumors 6502

ClassObject

There are just as many (or more) bags that look great and don't do crap.

9. seveej macrumors 6502a

seveej

Bummer. I once had a defective samsonite backpack, and the strap (stitched badly) broke. After raising hell I got a new one, a written apology and a 100€ voucher.

Then again, I also dropped my Alu MB >2 meters, and that dent was way bigger than yours. Guess what, it still works flawlessly, only getting the HDD out is tricky.

Depending on if you can find a local buyer, someone who a) is able to ascertain that no serious damage has occurred, and b) can return the product within two weeks if not satisfied (without S&H costs), you might not need to take a big hit (100€/$ or so).

RGDS,

10. z4x0n macrumors newbie

11. phinsup macrumors 6502

phinsup

Been there and done that, had my new MacBook Pro for a week when it happened to me

12. tamvly macrumors 6502a

tamvly

If it were me, I'd carry the old MBP around for a while.

13. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

Bad luck, but it's a good thing it didn't splinter and break like a lesser laptop, no?

14. AbyssImpact macrumors 6502a

That's what happen when you lug around that huge brick. Should of gotten an Air.