Bag suggestions wanted for 1 MBA and 2 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hijakk, Jun 3, 2009.

1. hijakk macrumors newbie

I'm now working three half time sysadmin/web development/software engineering jobs - one of which has assigned me an MBA, another is sending me a 15" MBP, and the third has promised me one down the line.
    Each job is a stickler about using *only* their hardware (to the point where if I do development work on one for another group, the owner of the machine has rights to the work I do, technically), so I ideally need to have all three machines with me. Can anyone suggest a bag that could keep my three machines safe, and keep me from noticing the 14 extra pounds (plus adapters?) too much?

2. JCastro macrumors 6502a

I don't have an immediate recommendation for you. I will try to do some looking though.

You might consider something like a Pelican Case that you can custom fit slots for the various sized laptops and spots for cords and adapters. They tend to be on the heavy side so one with wheels would be best. They are very secure too. That is a lot of money in there. Here is a link to one that I thought looked pretty good.

3. hijakk thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm focusing my search a bit more now, I ideally want a high quality bag with three internal padded laptop sleeves.

I'm running around on Etsy now to see if I can find someone to custom build something for me, ideally with hard panels in the side of each sleeve. I've been cutting the clips off of clipboards and using them as makeshift hard panels in every bag with every laptop since highschool, never had a screen crack since I've done this. The bags remain rigid, it doesn't add much weight at all, and since all the pressure, even point pressure, is spread across the whole laptop, no dents and no cracks.

I've called a bunch of places so far, including timbuk2 and Sqooba, and no one seems to do custom bags! One place suggested I check with Tom Bihn, but I haven't been able to get a hold of them yet.

4. JCastro macrumors 6502a

You might check with some companies that sell military or law enforcement equipment. Some of them do custom work and they make them durable to hold up in the worst situations. Tactical Tailor is the first company that comes to mind. I will be home in a couple of weeks and live near a large military base. There are bound to be some shops there that make stuff.

5. hijakk thread starter macrumors newbie

Tom Bihn may indeed be the way to go, specifically their Brain bag. The lady I spoke to said that it could hold three of their "brain cells", laptop sleeves that clip into their bags and sort of suspend your machine off the bottom of the bag, reducing shock should you drop it straight down.
    http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/100/TB0104
    Tom Bihn bags in general have nothing but glowing reviews online.

I have a couple good nibbles from Etsy as well, one leather worker from Canada, and one generalized bag maker in Italy. I sorta like the idea of having a truly one of a kind bag tailored to my specifications! :D

I will check out Tactical Tailor too, thanks for the suggestion!