Bag - Tom Bihn Ristretto for iPad *PICS*

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by jedolley, Apr 14, 2010.

1. jedolley macrumors 68000

Like others I was looking for a new bag to transport my iPad along with my other necessities. I already have a custom Timbuk2 Classic Messenger (Small), and considered getting one of the newer XS ones. Overall, I like the Timbuk2 bag, but my main complaints are that the strap length is too short, and the shoulder pad moves too much (find myself adjusting it constantly). I decided to get something else.

I ended up going for the Tom Bihn Ristretto for iPad (Black/Steel). The bag was smaller than I imagined, but it has a good amount of compartments and looks like its going to carry everything I need.

I don't currently have my iPad (new one on it's way from Apple), but I went ahead and took some pics and have some initial impressions.

[​IMG]

The bag is handmade and the quality shows. The material used is excellent and very sturdy. The bag was sent in a UPS box and is not sealed in any type of bag. I mention this because a very minor complaint I had was that the bag was a tad bit dirty since the box isn't air tight and dust/dirt from the truck found it's way in.

[​IMG]

The back has a compartment for a magazine or similarly shaped item. There is also a small nylon like handle, but is placed where it does not stick out over the top of the bag. The bag also comes with an adjustable waist strap, but I have removed it.

[​IMG]

All the parts used appear to be top notch. Part of me is going to miss the velcro sound of the Timbuk2, but snap is an acceptable replacement.

[​IMG]

The accessories compartments:

The first open pouch right above the clasp is about 7" deep at it's shallowest point and 8.5" wide.

Right above that are 2 pencil/pen holders, and 2 phone size holders (5" deep by 3" wide).

Right above that is a little ring you can attach a key tether to. Then above that is the zipper pouch (also about 7" deep and 8.5" wide).

[​IMG]

The next compartment is large enough for a notebook, magazine, etc. It's about 11" deep and about 9+" wide. The back is padded (behind it is the iPad/Netbook compartment) and could be used for a keyboard or other similar type accessory. There is also another ring in this compartment along with a removable key tether. The rings in this compartment and the other are identical so you can place the key tether on either one.

[​IMG]

The iPad/Netbook compartment is padded on the front and back. It also has a padded flap that tucks in. The front inside of the compartment consists of a very soft material, but the back inside is made of the same Cordura material used on the exterior of the bag. I initially thought this was an odd choice, but Tom Bihn assures me that the Cordura fabric may be touch and sturdy, but is soft and shouldn't cause any scratches. This is a non issue for me since my iPad will be in the Apple Case, but anyone considering this bag with a nude iPad may want to put the screen towards the softer side.

Once I get my new iPad tomorrow I can work on taking some pictures of the bag with actual contents.

2. puffmtd macrumors newbie

Thanks for posting this....I've been waffling between several cases and this is one of them. Your explanation and pics cleared up some of the questions I've had. If you have time after you get your Ipad, could you post some of your impressions and maybe post a pic of you wearing it for to get some type of perspective on size? Thanks.

3. jedolley thread starter macrumors 68000

Update:

I've been using this bag for about a week now and I really like it. It's a smaller bag, so it probably can't compete with the Timbuk2 Classic Messenger in volume, but it holds it's fair share.

[​IMG]
    This is just an example of what I am carrying in my bag right now, or at least the past week. It's a good amount of stuff, and there is still plenty of room for more.

[​IMG]
    The pocket in the interior section is perfect for the Overdrive and/or cables.

[​IMG]
    Here's a shot of the iPad in the Apple case in the padded compartment.

[​IMG]
    A top down view of the bag with the padded compartment flap tucked in.

[​IMG]
    I was trying to show how much more room was left in this section, but not sure I accomplished it. Just to give a better idea, I was able to fit my arm in this compartment, and it felt like there was still more room left.

Again, I am really liking this bag. The quality is superb, and to me it's just the right size. The strap is plenty long and the shoulder pad does not move around too easily, which were my main complaints with the Timbuk2 bag. The bag is just comfortable to wear, and looks great (IMO) while protecting your iPad.

CONS:

If I were to list any negatives of this bag I guess one would be the back sleeve/pocket (seen on 2nd image of my first post). The Tom Bihn site states this is, " ideal for storing papers, a magazine or a newspaper." I don't think it's quite deep enough for an average size magazine. I tried my issue of Maxim in there and it stuck out too much and interfered with the handle. I think it will still be useful for smaller documents, but not average size or large magazine/documents.

Another negative, and this is kind of nit picking, is lack of color options or custom colors. This is one of the things I love about Timbuk2. Even their stock color options are plentiful, if sometimes a bit odd. If you don't like the stock options you can always custom order from a large variety of colors and patterns. At this time, Tom Bihn only has 4 color options (Black/Wasabi, Black/Steel, Cocoa/Olive, and Olive/Cayenne) and all sold out :p.

The only other negative that I have noticed, and this is completely IMO, is the back side of the iPad compartment. As I mentioned in my first post, the back side is made of the same Cordura material as the exterior of the bag. It is still padded on both sides, but the back side is not the same soft material as the inner side. I don't think this will scratch a naked iPad, but I found it a bit odd and worth mentioning.

Conclusion:

I really think this bag is a great option for anyone, but especially men that are able to overcome the social stigma of carrying a bag. This bag is sized right to carry the iPad and other essentials, but is not large or bulky. The bag is solid in the quality department, and from what I have read people have had other Tom Bihn bags for years and they still look relatively new. I came from a Timbuk2 Classic Messenger and feel this is a better option for taller (6' plus) people.

4. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

jedolley I am about to buy this but being in Oz I cant see the bag since no one seems to stock them here and the postage is very steep ($55 US). I was hoping you might be able to answer a few questions.

i) I really want to carry a water bottle with whatever bag I get. I noted the Tom Bihn advertising has a 500ml bottle shown but I have not idea where they think it should go. Have you tried or can you offer an opinion?

ii) How stable is the bag on its bottom when its loaded up? Does it stand alone or is it stable if leaning against something?

iii) Have you tried sitting and using the bag as a cushion/prop for when you use your ipad? If so how well does it work?

iv) What Tom Bihn extras like little pouches etc have you found a good size for iPad power chargers; Apple headphones; screen cleaning cloths?

Thanks

5. jedolley thread starter macrumors 68000

I can't imagine where a water bottle would go on this bag. There is no dedicated water-proof pocket. I guess if the water bottle had a hook it could hook on to something.

The material and construction of the bag is pretty stiff and sturdy. However, it's also not very deep, so there isn't much of a base for it to sit up on. In my experience it almost always requires leaning to stand up.

I haven't used my bag in this way, but I can see it being used this way. The back is flat and cushioned and could be a good surface to prop the ipad on.

If you are referring to the optional accessories that Tom Bihn sells, I have not bought any. I have found that the pockets/compartments hold everything that I carry.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

6. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Thanks. Order placed :)

Its a shame they dont have a nice 1 litre / 1.25litre pouch that is designed to attach securely to their gear. I'll source that elsewhere.

7. Drew61 macrumors newbie

Dimensions for iPad compartment?

Hi,

I was reading your review and I am liking the idea of the Rissetto but I have my iPad in a silicone skin (Belkin Grip Vue) and I am wondering if it will fit the compartment.

The reason I say this is because the skin adds .3 of an inch to the width of the iPad ... it is now about 7.8 inches wide.

I noted you have your iPad in the Apple case ... i've not seen the case up close but how much width does it add to the iPad?

The dimensions given on the Tom Bihn website state that the compartment is 7.59 inches wide ... just enough to fit a naked iPad.

So will it be a tough fit requiring me to wedge the iPad in there or is there a bit of wiggle room?

Thanks!

8. jedolley thread starter macrumors 68000

I measured the Apple case and it about 7 7/8" wide. When I have the case in the bag there is still plenty of room left, about the width of my index finger on both sides (.5"). I'm not sure why it states the width to be 7.59", I would say it's closer to 9".

9. menza macrumors newbie

Bluetooth Keyboard

Would an Apple bluetooth keyboard fit in the second pockt?

10. Drew61 macrumors newbie

Thanks!

Thanks this is very helpful!!

11. WytRaven macrumors 6502

I have tested this with mine and no word of a lie it sits absolutely level with the top of the second pocket....you would swear they designed this with that in mind.

12. jedolley thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks. I don't have the Wireless Keyboard so I wasn't going to be able to confirm that, but my guess was going to be that it would fit.