Bah! Hardware issues - LaCie MiniHub <-> Miglia TVMax

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Jim Campbell, Jun 10, 2007.

1. Jim Campbell macrumors 6502a

Jim Campbell

Bum. The LaCie 320Gb MiniHub is a lovely thing: aesthetically perfect for use with our Mini, partially air-cooled to make it very quiet, and adds a bunch of extra USB and Firewire ports.

Except that it doesn't appear to play nicely with Miglia's TVMax. At all. I've had more problems in 24 hours with the LaCie drive hooked up to my Mini/TVMax combo than in the last six months without.

Particularly, the TV playback has suddenly became unwatchable, stuttering uncontrollably.

I don't know what the issue is - I initially wondered whether the data transfer rates between the external HD and the EyeTV software was insufficient for EyeTV to use the external disk as a scratch disk, but changing the default folder back to one on the internal drive didn't seem to solve the problem.

Then I wondered whether having both the TVMax and the drive shifting data via USB was simply too much traffic on the USB bus, so I hooked the LaCie up by Firewire only, at which point the drive refused to mount at all. However, even though the drive was not mounted, the TV playback was still unwatchable.

Only removing the drive entirely made any difference, at which point everything went back to completely normal.

Much to my regret, it looks like the drive is going to have to go back. Just thought I'd mention it here in hope of keeping anyone else from having the same issue.

Cheers!

Jim

2. Jim Campbell thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jim Campbell

OK ... I know that replying to your own posts is the sure sign of an unstable mind, but I've been Googling the living daylights out of this, and loads of people seem to have hooked external drives (including LaCie ones, although not this specific model) up to a Mac Mini/TVMax combo without any of the difficulties I've described above, so now I'm wondering if it's just me!

Am I missing some blindingly obvious possibility and/or workaround with this?

Any thoughts, even random ones, most welcome!

Cheers

Jim

3. Jim Campbell thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jim Campbell

OK ... last post to my own thread, I promise, but just in case anyone was remotely interested, I've narrowed this problem down to a physical defect with the connections - I think the power lead, so the drive has been returned on those grounds.

Cheers

Jim