Bah! Why does Apple release a desktop charger only every other model?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by HXGuyAZ, Sep 22, 2014.

1. HXGuyAZ macrumors 6502

New phone...and again no more desktop charger! Seems Apple does this every other model...the 5/5S had one (which I loved using)...but the 4 didn't I believe, and I think the 3 before it did? I'm so used to sitting at my desk and putting the phone in the charger and not fumbling with the wire.

----------

Hmm, looks like this should work?

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Charge-Lightning-Connector-Generation/dp/B00AYNRLFA

2. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

They released a dock for the 4, but not the 5. They did release one when the 5S came out. So far, nothing for the 6 or 6 Plus, which is a bit surprising. You'd figure Apple would sell a good number of docks for the larger phones.

And I have the dock you linked, and it works with the iPhone 6, minus any case you have on it.

3. cvam1985 macrumors regular

I share your frustration - I love the docks. I've never used a third party one, but I will look for one this time. Especially because I want one that works with a case (apples only ever work with slider cases where you can remove the bottom)

4. mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

I wish they shipped with the dock like the first iPhone.

5. Cougarcat macrumors 604

The OP means a dock that Apple releases alongside new iPhones. But yes, ever since the first one it's been an addon.

6. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

Docks are dead. The phone is meant to be held and picked up frequently. Interacting with it on a dock is cumbersome.

If you want to have it plugged in while on display at your desk, get this:

[​IMG]

7. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

8. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

That looks nice but my cast would drag that off into parts unknown, never to be found again!

9. HXGuyAZ thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow that looks great! Thanks for the link...been looking all over online for a nice one and aside from dockplus.com, which is very similar to the one you posted, but literally twice the price (and too much in my opinion for a dock) I hadn't found something really nice, simple and elegant. Order in! Thanks!

10. darkonex macrumors member

From that Everdock page:

The EverDock comes with a micro-USB cable. The EverDock is compatible with Apple's Lightning and 30-pin cables (not included).

Really!? So it's just a stand and you supply your own cable? And it's $50!? Lol ya right, what a ripoff!

11. Zorn macrumors 6502a

Zorn

My favorite dock ever (which works amazingly for any Lightning iPhones or the iPad Mini/Air) is the Twelve South Hi Rise. Great looking solid aluminum construction, and adjusts quite a bit so you can size it to fit whatever case you are using or none at all. After getting my first one I've bought two more.

EDIT: It's $34.99, and you have to supply your own Lightning cable.

12. wtrswoopes macrumors newbie

wtrswoopes

OP, I purchased that Belkin Charger for my iPhone 5c and there is an issue I ran into that the Amazon pictures do not show. The base where your phone rests is not flat. So if you have a case that doesn't have an open bottom, you may run into issues. I'm using a soft plastic case so I was able to cut away parts of the case from around the lightning port to make it fit, but still rather disappointing.

[​IMG]

13. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

It's machined aluminum. It's heavy, sturdy, solid and extremely well made. Go ahead and get a cheaper one that comes with a 3rd party lightning cable that may or may not start your phone on fire.

14. HXGuyAZ thread starter macrumors 6502

Saw that EverDock also has a dock for cup holders, would love one of these in my car as the one I retrofitted for my 5S no longer fits plus had no rear support which isn't the best idea. :(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. nightlove7 macrumors newbie

I like the wood stand...got a link or something?

16. wxman2003 Suspended

Amazing that these companies can get away with highway robbery with the ridiculous prices for docks. Many cost more than $70 and don't even provide a cable. The ones that cost $40 to $50 are cheap plastic. What a racket for nothing more than a iphone stand where you provide your own cable.

17. TheBama macrumors 6502

TheBama

Got one of the Belkin docks today from Amazon. Works great with the 6plus with apple's leather case.

18. 0000757 macrumors 68040

Oh my god, I absolutely need that. I hate having a weird wire in my car for my phone.

Bet they won't have it fit the good ol Yaris though :(

19. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

Buy the twelve south hi rise, it's great because it works with any Apple device that has a lightning connector including both new iPhones and all iPads. You won't regret it, I bought 4 to put around the house,