Bailed on the waiting game

Discussion in 'iMac' started by highlights, Jul 25, 2012.

1. highlights macrumors newbie

Reasons for waiting on the new iMac: too expensive for older technology, lack of USB 3 means spending more money on thunderbolt (or slower USB2), and let's face it -- I like new technology!

Reason I jumped ship and just purchased a 2011 27" iMac: cannot do things on my current macbook that I want to be able to do NOW (not in 3 months), back to school deal, AND next weekend is tax-free weekend in my state (which won't happen again until next August).

So 2011 iMac now and save ~$300 or 2012 iMac in 3 months without any discounts... well, $300 is a decent savings, and in my mind offsets the cost of this expensive older tech. Of course a new iMac with the back to school and tax-free savings would be ideal, but that's just not happening. And I need the computer now. I'll pay to use it for the next 3 months and then put it up on ebay if the new model is something I really want -- with what I'm saving now, the hit shouldn't be too bad. Anyway, if I wasn't going to make good use of the iMac over the next few months I would totally keep waiting... but I need it now so I bought it.

2. JForestZ34 macrumors 6502a

Awesome. Enjoy your new Mac.

James

3. JulianMcC, Jul 25, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2012

JulianMcC macrumors newbie

Well done, I struggled and waited for a sale, and glad I did.

4. glitch44 macrumors 65816

Just out of curiosity, which state is tax-free next weekend?

5. highlights thread starter macrumors newbie

Missouri - they always do a tax-free weekend sometime during the back-to-school season. I ordered through my university (upgraded the hard drive) and they let me put my credit card on file but not be charged until the computer comes in/tax-free weekend is going on.

6. B.A.T macrumors 6502

Last year I bought a brand new 2010 i7 a couple of months after the 2011 models came out. I was contemplating waiting for the 2012s but decided I didn't want to wait any longer. My computer might be a little bit slower than the current top of the line model but so far I've saved myself nearly a year of waiting and have a very fast machine. Enjoy your mac it's a great machine.

7. travistaylor macrumors regular

Tax free weekend in Missouri?!

I just moved to the Show Me State, I also get an 8% discount on Apple computers thanks to an EPP at work.

I think I will also skip out in the waiting game- thanks for posting this!!

8. highlights thread starter macrumors newbie

You're welcome! It's from Aug 3-5 and is good for computers up to $3,500 :)

9. travistaylor macrumors regular

Yup, just did my homework on the whole bit. I'm pumped! I was starting to think about how since I'm "grown up" now, it's time to stop 'needing' the next big thing. After all, I will be using my iMac for web browsing, email, word document creation, and that's about it. I don't think the next iteration will make a difference for me.

I have a Time Capsule for Time Machine- and don't really need USB 3.0 for anything.

The only reason I would be slightly disappointed is if a new model comes out in early September (just weeks after my purchase) with a dramatic redesign (Retina display, standard SSD, and an all-new look)....I don't see that happening, so I think this will tide me over until a Retina 27" model is affordable.

I think I will purchase mine online and have it delivered to my local Apple Store. I'm jacked up! Can't wait for next weekend.

10. cypress822 macrumors regular

Just bought a completely loaded 27in imac computer yesterday...no more waiting!

11. dakotaspurs macrumors member

Same here, bought a fully loaded iMac yesterday afternoon ... been waiting for over a year and can't hold off any more.

12. Gaiduku macrumors member

I bailed but in a different way. Big box of pc components arrived this morning and tomorrow is pc building time

13. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

Seriously considering "borrowing" a 2011 iMac from Best Buy sometime around mid-August..

14. snow blind macrumors regular

Simply a PC... or is this going to be a hackintosh?

15. viajy127 macrumors newbie

Can I ask how you saved $300? I'm looking to buy now as well. I can wait but my wife really wants a desktop set up for my soon to be kindergartner

16. n0cus macrumors 6502

Couldn't you just buy it on amazon for no tax?

17. glitch44 macrumors 65816

He said he gets an additional 8% off through his work EPP program, which you can't use on Amazon.

18. Mad Sativa macrumors member

19. travistaylor macrumors regular

Bingo. I've also got to get used to no tax on Amazon...I used to live in KY, where Amazon actually did charge me tax (one of the most annoying things in the world...)

20. highlights thread starter macrumors newbie

For me at least, tax free + the $100 app store gift certificate that is part of the back to school sale (that I *will* use at some point on software) is over a $300 savings.

I know you can do tax-free ordering on Amazon (in most states), but you can't get BTO options or the back to school deal, so that wasn't an option for me.

21. 141n5 macrumors member

Apple are just going to LOVE this sales spike.:mad:
    Their pissing about, delaying tech updates and sticking screens together will be 'justified' as the figures all rack up nicely now.

"we are a mobile device company..." Well 'we' desktop users* are the foundations on which your iCompany stand. I don't need to be mobile, I can't work on mobile devices I need processing

You make my tech redundant with OS update and offer me stuff hundred of days on the shelf in return - it is not good enough for the bleeding edge prices you charge - and when exactly does it get made redundant? I'd be going PRO if the situation was not worse over there.

I am getting really hacked off now, though that might be an un-required clarification.

*(of a certain vintage)

22. Djlild7hina macrumors 6502a

I forgot about tax free weekend in missouri! man... i still won't be back lol oh wells. congrats on your new system! i'm bailing as well (not sure if I was even going to buy it :p) but building a comp with the crossover 27q as my monitor :)

23. Gaiduku macrumors member

A Pc. I like the idea of a hackintosh in theory but not in practice.

24. wrosie macrumors member

25. eswank macrumors 6502

You think that ordering online during tax free weekend would be the same way? Tax free? I have family over in KS and they could bring it up to NE for me. I'm hoping this is the case. I'd be willing to wait for 2011 iMac to save money!