Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mercuree

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2010
Hi All,

I was given a MacBook Pro 3,1 15" by a friend as it was working intermittently. While diagnosing (Full AHT ran without any issues initially) the screen started glitching and the system would hang at various stages of the boot process. The system was and still is refusing to boot without first holding down the power button while connecting the magsafe, keeping it in for 10sec and then releasing and briefly pressing again. (This supposedly bypasses the SMC.)

I then read up on the Nvidia GPU reflow issue and popped the logic board in the oven for 7mins at 190'C. This worked perfectly. The screen now no longer glitches and I can boot all the way into OS X with no issues.

Some things to note:
The battery appears to be completely dead. But I believe this could also be an SMC related issue.

The fans run at full speed constantly.

When I log in, airport connectivity works intermittently when connected and sometimes does not appear at all.

The SuperDrive does not respond whatsoever.

If I boot into the Recovery HD, Airport works flawlessly and prior to booting anything, I am able to use the SuperDrive.

This leads me to conclude that bypassing the SMC as I am is causing the above issues.

I have tried flashing the latest SMC firmware but it is already up to date.

I cannot reset the SMC in the usual manner proposed as the current power issue seems to invalidate anything I do until I have bypassed the SMC - whereupon pressing the power key immediately makes the system boot up.

I also tried the latest EFI firmware which does need installing, but the installer tells me to shut down then hold in the power key until I get a long beep and let the system load to complete the process, doing this merely turns the system on and then off as a forced shutdown (holding power key) would.

I have read somewhere that cleaning the area around the SMC chip with distilled water then vinegar then isopropyl alchohol sometimes helps by removing corrosion but am not sure where to locate this on the logic board.

I also found this guide: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4855319 With which I thought to force a firmware update just to be sure. But when following the steps on the SMC firmware pkg I do not find the files he suggests.

Could anyone suggest anything else I could try?

I am in the process of arranging another battery and charger to test with. I have already tried various combinations of RAM. I cannot take it to a genius bar or service centre. I do not need to buy a new one.

This is really just an experiment for me but any input would be appreciated. I just figure I got this far where most would say, scrap it or get another one. Why not keep trying.

I realise that this fix may not work forever or that the logic board may be damaged beyond anything I can do to repair it, but I am simply asking for any users with a similar can-do attitude and an open view on the DIY approach to give some input if they can.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.