Baked MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Melrose, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

So, I put my MacBook Pro away in my bag before making sure it was shut down. A few hours later the fan was on full blast, and the case was so hot it quite literally could not be touched. I've been religious about not letting it overheat when I'm working on it.

My question is, are there any problems this may cause/have caused that I can check or see about fixing? Has the battery life affected? Certain components that maybe lost 10 years of their lifespan?

Thanks in advance!

-
    I've searched and can't find this question exactly - lots of ones about overheating but not this in particular. : )

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

My Macbook is still around after having that happen twice.

3. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

You know people actually take out the mother board and actually bake them to solve some issues right?

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The first thing that came to mind was baking old G80 video cards.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

6. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

If it was still running, then none of the temperature sensors got to the shutdown threshold, so I wouldn't worry about it. If you make a habit of this, you'll kill it, but once or twice won't hurt at all.

7. Melrose thread starter Suspended

Melrose

Thanks guys.

It seems to be fine; what worried me was the first startup after the impromptu baking. The battery was dead, menubar icons were only loading part of them (part of the icon, not some icons were missing) and the mouse tracking was very erratic.

It seems to be okay now. I've been fastidious about taking care of this machine.

Thanks again for your help. My worrying is allayed.

:)

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That happened a couple of time to me for one of my older laptops, and nothing adverse happened. It continued to operate without problems.

9. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

My Macbook did not make it to sleep a few times when it went into my backpack. I would get back to it with the fan at 100% and a blank screen. A hard reset and it was back to normal.

10. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It's possible that certain components lost 10 years off their lifespan... of hundreds of years...

11. IngerMan macrumors 6502a

IngerMan

Being I am about to get my first MBP next week, this thread made me question should I turn off the MBP before putting it into a sleeve/bag. So I did the GGJ thing and searched for the answers.

Although I am posting a comment about it I think for any new MBP owners the thread below has some good points and makes me feel comfortable transporting my new MBP the same way I do my MBA, SLEEP:)

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1317895&highlight=turn+off+mbp+or+sleep