Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HecTech

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2013
My laptop won't start up. I've tried everything and the hardware test says everything is good. I'm going to reapply the thermal paste. I just don't know if I should also bake the logic board. I see instructions and videos online for baking older MBP but not for a Early 2011 MBP Logicboard. Is it because for these specific models its not necessary to bake the logicboard? All that is necessary is to change the thermal paste?

Doward

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2013
LOL, 'baking' is simply the poor-man's hot reflow.

You can do it with *any* PCB. Yes, this includes your early 2011 MBP.

Please be careful and understand it is *very* easy to damage your logic board should you mess it up.

A couple tips:

1) Do NOT move ANYTHING until an hour or so after your oven has shut down.
2) DO NOT DO THIS IN AN OVEN USED FOR FOOD
3) Be careful not to overheat the board

HecTech

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2013
Lol Yea baking a logic board does sound silly now that I think about it. Would it be better if I used a heat gun? I honestly don't have access to an oven that is not used for food.

Also would it be necessary for me to have to use the reflow method or just replacing the thermal paste would be enough?

My computer when it starts up goes to the BSOD or a white screen with light vertical lines in the background after the apple logo.

Doward

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2013
You sound like you need a reflow.

Check craigslist - I started with a cheap convectionary oven that a lady was throwing out because the cord got cut. Repaired it and started flowing with it :)

HecTech

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2013
Hey thanks for the advice, I reflowed my logic board and its up and running. Its truly amazing how this worked. Hopefully it'll last but my only concern is if I did everything correctly. My computer is currently installing the additional content from Logic Pro X and the temperature is reading 154 degrees F (68 degrees C). It feels warms up by the left top corner where the charger plug is placed. Not sure if this is normal, what is a normal temperature for a MBP early 2011?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.