Baking powder to remove scratches?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by steve23094, Sep 19, 2016.

1. steve23094 macrumors 68000

steve23094

Has anybody used baking powder mixed with a little water to try and remove scratches from an iPad?

I have seen YouTube videos but sometimes I get the feeling they are full of it. Has anybody tried this method personally and what were your results?

I'm not jumping in to trying it straight away in case it makes things worse.

2. Commy1 macrumors 6502a

Commy1

Baking SODA is a mild abrasive and , you'll end up making the screen wherever you scrub full of tiny scratches and remove any coatings on the glass.
    It's a method that might work on metal scratches but definitely not glass. For glass you'd want some sort of clear filler.

3. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Do not do it. About the only way is to hide the scratches with a screen protector.

4. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

I don't see how that could possibly help. Think of what a scratch is. It's not just something on the surface that can be wiped off, it's an actual trench in the material. Baking powder can't magically fill in that trench.

5. RedOrchestra Suspended

I think the OP is asking about removing scratches from the iPad's aluminium case NOT from the screen.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 20, 2016 ---

6. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I did not see that but hoepfully he/she gets the information