Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Trevornicholls

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2017
So today I just picked up a 16g stick of ram for my early 2010 duo quad core Mac Pro. Until now I had 6g of ram, 3 1g cards on each tower, now I only have a single 16g card in slot 1 with 7 free slots. I have been trying to figure out how to configure things to include the 6 1g cards I previously had but can't get the computer to boot with any combination I've tried thus far. Just a blank screen and a blinking power light. I've read very mixed reviews on balancing mixed ram and am a bit lost. Is there a way to configure things to take advantage of the old cards? If I got a second 16g card for the second tower would that allow the system to boot with a 16g1g1g1g on each tower? Thanks

Trevornicholls

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2017
is there any easy way to tell what type it is? It isn't displayed or mentioned anywhere i can find.

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression when I bought my 3 16g sticks a while back that all 16g ram was of the "doesn't play well with different kids" variety

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
is there any easy way to tell what type it is? It isn't displayed or mentioned anywhere i can find.

The sticker on the RAM stick.

"U-DIMM" on the sticker.
IMG_0618.JPG

"10600R" on the sticker, which means RDIMM.
IMG_0614.JPG

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.