Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

plisskin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2010
Hey! Hello. So, I'm playing an ancient game on my Macbook running 10.5.8. I'm trying to play and old favorite game of mine, Baldur's Gate 2. I've been able to correctly install the game thus far from a series of .dmg files but, unfortunately, the game simply won't recognize that I've mounted the .dmg image required to run the game. When I run the game it goes to the "Insert Baldur's Gate 2 disc" screen and nothing I've done to mount the .dmg makes it realize it has the data available to it. I've done a full install according to the game's ReadMe file, but no matter how I try to mount the .dmg simply nothing happens.

I've tried the basic Mac image mounting program and the game doesn't read it. I tried mounting the .dmg in Toast, and it spat up an error message "result code 49152." Google searched that, got no useful information. I tried to use a program to convert the .dmg to an .iso and it failed inexplicably. Trying to use a Terminal process to convert the .dmg to a .iso that worked for a different user online didn't work for me, possibly because I have the .dmg in the wrong place since I have no clue how to use the Terminal properly.

The console command was as follows:

"hdiutil convert imagefile.dmg -format UDTO -o imagefile.iso

The rename it to .iso with:

mv imagefile.iso.cdr imagefile.iso
"

When I renamed the .dmg file "bg2.dmg," something easy to put into the Terminal, the Terminal simply said that it didn't exist.

I can't burn an actual CD because my CD drive is broken on this Macbook, thus why I'm forced to using .dmg files.

If you guys have any ideas why the game simply won't realize I've got the disc image around, I'd be insanely grateful. If there's an easier way to run this game on Mac, possibly by using Crossover or the CIDER version or somesuch, I'd love to hear about it but I'm somewhat useless unless I'm given a step-by-step. I've heard that it's easier to partition the drive with BootCamp and play on the windows half of the drive but last time I tried that I had some bizarre hardware issues and would like to avoid repeating it.

Thanks in advance.

plisskin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2010
UPDATE: I figured out how to convert the .dmg to an .iso using the Terminal, but the game still doesn't recognize it when I mount it in the basic disc image program or Toast Titanium. I also tried Burn to no avail and Toastmount, which said that "something went wrong trying to load the system extension."

Hansr

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2007
The game has copy protection and should be run from your store bought disk and not from a downloaded copy.

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
There are Cider versions of the Win version floating around the web (some info at portingteam.com forums) that run fantastic.

Nner

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2010
I have the same problem.

My CD-rom drive is broken and i wanted to play the game and i get the same message. I tried to update the game to 1.1.2 but all i get is a .sit file (a txt file) and i don't know how to use it. now if this works it could solve both our problems.

EDIT: Managed to open the .sit file. but it didn't solve our problem.

Last edited:

BigYellow

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2006
Canada
Use Toast :)

I second this. If you open Toast Titanium and use its Disk Image screen to mount the .dmg file, it should work. I had this issue with Diablo 2 on my old PB G3, because the CD-ROM drive was so worn out it couldn't read the retail disc anymore, so I had to make a .dmg file and mount it with Toast... It does something differently/better than Apple's Disk Utility.

karlrothe

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2011
how to fix this

What I did to fix this (using a torrented version of the game) was i burned disc 2 onto a real disc labeled it BG II Disc 2 and mounted disc 1-4 onto my desktop. I then inserted Disc 2 after installing all discs into the same Baldur's Gate folder and it worked properly. Umar Hills still won't load thought /=.

Zortrium

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003
What I did to fix this (using a torrented version of the game) was i burned disc 2 onto a real disc labeled it BG II Disc 2 and mounted disc 1-4 onto my desktop. I then inserted Disc 2 after installing all discs into the same Baldur's Gate folder and it worked properly. Umar Hills still won't load thought /=.

Apply the patch that fixes the Umar Hills bug and also some multiprocessor issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.