Baldur's Gate II Questions - Not found in older threads

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by EnialusMeliamne, Jun 24, 2009.

1. EnialusMeliamne macrumors member

All,
    I'm hoping that someone in here with much more experience in this arena can help me. I've recently bought Baldur's Gate II SoA and ToB for my Early 2008 model Macbook Pro. All of that said, I had a full install yesterday that would not allow me to save the game in any way shape or form. I then deleted the folder, and started over. Now, I'm running into the dreaded "missing file" issue that I did manage to find referenced on here but with no real fixes posted to respond. The question is two fold:

A. Will BG2 and expansion even run on an Early 08 Macbook Pro or do I have a nice coffee cup coaster to the tune of 92 bucks?

B. Is there an effective fix for my issue, if it will play on my machine?

I bought SoA and ToB from two different vendors. One provided a disc that supposedly makes ToB compatible, but I'm just not seeing it. The other just sent me the disc case as is. Has anyone else run into this problem?

My KOTOR install works just fine on my machine, but this MacPlay BGII doesn't. Here is the basics of my configuration for those much more tech savvy then I: early '08 Macbook Pro (15.4" display running 2.5GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 250GB hard drive, GeForce 8600 w/512MB)?

Any and all help is VERY appreciated. Thanks!

2. EnialusMeliamne thread starter macrumors member

The latest...

So I've gotten the program to load, but now after I've installed, etc...I'm at the stage where the game will not save. Ugh. Any suggestions or assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

3. EnialusMeliamne thread starter macrumors member

Okay...It's fixed (Posting in case others want the solution)

Basically, the problem was a Temp file in the install folder. If you delete that, and create a new folder called Temp, you should have a glorious time. Figured I'd pass that on here. Regards

4. Miharu macrumors 6502

Miharu

BG 2 is big trouble on today's Macs. It was released for OS 9 after all. There is however a solution, a certain unofficial Cider port of the game floats around in the web, it works flawlessly on any Intel Mac and doesn't require any installs and stuff. Includes the expansion as well. I can't post any links though :)

5. txa1265 macrumors 6502a

txa1265

With the latest patch I got it running on my uMBP, but soon after killed it and just have it installed on my Lenovo s10 netbook ... same with Icewind Dale and others of that generation ...

6. aki macrumors 6502a

lots of mods and patches and information here http://www.gibberlings3.net/

having said that in then end in the same situation as you i just ended up playing under bootcamp

bg2 worked well for me on a ppc mac but the new ones more trouble than worth :(

7. Zortrium macrumors 6502

This thread is a little old, but having wrestled with getting BG2 running on a variety of newer Macs (dual core G5, a couple of Intels), I found that there were two things that generally made everything work (these were for both SoA and ToB):

1. Delete the temp file (as posted above).
    2. This is the more annoying one -- running a dual core machine seems to often confuse BG2 and especially tends to cause crashes when trying to save the game. The workaround here is to disable one of your machine's cores while playing. This actually isn't very much of a hassle -- you need to install the CPU preference pane (you can Google for it or get it with the Developer Tools), which gives you a nice dropdown menu to switch between single and dual-core mode without rebooting. Switching to single core mode before starting the game allowed me to save without a problem.

Also make sure that you're running the latest versions of the games and that 3D acceleration is disabled (going through the BG2 Config app), since the 3D setting doesn't really work well in the OS X version.