Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TDHXXX

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 3, 2009
I've been aching to play through Baldurs Gate again, I own the PC edition and was wondering if there was anyway to get this to work on Mac without having to dualboot into windows or purchase separate software.

If the widescreen fix + easytutu (or whatever it is called) is still available it would be awesome if someone could provide me with it.

aki

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2004
Japan
if you want to install the PC version on the osx-side you'd have to go either Crossover Games or Parallels (they cost money, Parallels at least works pretty well these days though) or try a "roll your own" cider port (I've no idea on the legal issues around this if any?)

I haven't run BG itself under Parallels I don't think, but the bioware games are meant to run ok under it. I did install and play erm Planescape and it worked fine (really need to finish that game)

The mods including widescreen etc should still be available at the gibberlings website, look there

Zortrium

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003
I haven't run BG itself under Parallels I don't think, but the bioware games are meant to run ok under it. I did install and play erm Planescape and it worked fine (really need to finish that game)

Mind telling me what version of Windows your Parallels VM is? I've been having a beastly time getting Planescape to run correctly in a VM and it doesn't work in Crossover.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
I tried running BG1 using VMware on my MBP but it had issues - the cursor flickers constantly for a start. Had a search and this appeared to be a problem for many others. This was 6 months + ago though with XP, may be glitch free now.

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
You can probably make a port with Wineskin... I can assist you some if you want to try and have issues, but its not anything I've tested with Wineskin yet.

I myself found a Cider hacked full version ported that you can find around places on the internet... not sure where at the moment since the torrent I used is gone. It runs great... though, have BG1, and 2 and Icewind Dale, all from Cider hacks.... its great playing Windows games without Windows.

aki

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2004
Japan
Mind telling me what version of Windows your Parallels VM is? I've been having a beastly time getting Planescape to run correctly in a VM and it doesn't work in Crossover.

I found a really good blog posting which listed all the steps needed to install Planescape with the mods you need and the mods you want etc etc and it seems to work great. Unfortunately I don't have the link right here but I have it "somewhere" - I will post it here later today.

Hold tight.

Oh er to answer your actual question it's windows 7. (But the install method works for anything apparently.)

UPDATE: Here is the page. It's confirmed working at least for me. The process looks a little long but that's really just because the writer explains all details clearly ie. it's a good thing. Have fun!

clockwise

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2011
Boston
Just saw this thread. I'm looking to run BG on my iMac, but don't currently have a copy. The only copies I've been able to find online have been from Amazon, and in the $60-80 range. I'd rather not torrent it. Any thoughts on where I can find a legal copy?

bluebomberman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2005
Queens, NYC
The PC version (which is super-cheap on GOG.com) works with a Wineskin port; however, the hi-red mod doesn't work with Wineskin, so I quickly abandoned playing it.

(It's pretty hideous to play BG fullscreen on a 1920 x 1080 display when you're stuck to 640 x 480, and BG at release didn't receive great praise for its graphical prowess to begin with.)

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
The PC version (which is super-cheap on GOG.com) works with a Wineskin port; however, the hi-red mod doesn't work with Wineskin, so I quickly abandoned playing it.

(It's pretty hideous to play BG fullscreen on a 1920 x 1080 display when you're stuck to 640 x 480, and BG at release didn't receive great praise for its graphical prowess to begin with.)

I haven't tried normal BG, but using bg2 tutu that runs BG1 as well works fine for me with the widescreen 1280x800

bluebomberman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2005
Queens, NYC
I haven't tried normal BG, but using bg2 tutu that runs BG1 as well works fine for me with the widescreen 1280x800

My understanding is that the hi-res mod works with BG2 + Wine but not BG1. :( Can't recall where I read it but I remember searching the net for answers as to why I couldn't get the hi-res mod to work with BG1.

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
My understanding is that the hi-res mod works with BG2 + Wine but not BG1. :( Can't recall where I read it but I remember searching the net for answers as to why I couldn't get the hi-res mod to work with BG1.

I don't recall whats its called since I set it up so long ago.. but I'm basically using that mod that runs BG1 with the BG2 engine.

Ovenall

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2010
Chicago
An FYI: I was able to play BG1 on my Mac using a Cider port and it worked well. BG2 Cider port worked fine until about eight hours in, when I started getting a stuttering lagginess no matter what I did, and it got progressively worse until it was so annoying I couldn't stand it. Two start-overs (yeah, that's a lot of hours) and had the same thing happen. Maybe this won't happen to you, but be warned.

bluebomberman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2005
Queens, NYC
I don't recall whats its called since I set it up so long ago.. but I'm basically using that mod that runs BG1 with the BG2 engine.

Doesn't it require a copy of BG2? Sounds like a lot of contingencies (BG1 through BG2 with hi-res mod via Wineskin).

Someday I'll get Windows!

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
Doesn't it require a copy of BG2? Sounds like a lot of contingencies (BG1 through BG2 with hi-res mod via Wineskin).

Someday I'll get Windows!

yes... but I have BG1 and 2 and all the expansions for each... great games :)

its annoying at 640x480 to some people, but you can still play it at all default.

hpslm

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2011
Just saw this thread. I'm looking to run BG on my iMac, but don't currently have a copy. The only copies I've been able to find online have been from Amazon, and in the $60-80 range. I'd rather not torrent it. Any thoughts on where I can find a legal copy?

It is 19.49 € (tax included) at Play.com though I am unsure if they still ship to USA. But one would assume that there should be something like that offered at the States too.

I am playing that collection in 10.6.6 with the newest VMware Fusion running XP SP 3 . Everything else works fine except the cursor flickers all the time. In BG2 that is solved by clicking the "enable 3D" in game settings config box before starting the actual game but has anyone solved in BG1? ( I like BG1 more and there are certain nostalgic things involved in playing it for me, so, alas solution is not to just play BG2. )

Parallels wins all the reviews but Fusion had (has?) these campaigns in pricing going so I tried it. So that's unfortunately my only contribution to the OP, if all else fails, the student license to VMware was about 30€...

...but any help with the flickering cursor would be greatly appreciated. Maybe trying to play it with BG2's engine?

krimsen

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2005
...but any help with the flickering cursor would be greatly appreciated. Maybe trying to play it with BG2's engine?

Nope. I'm using the same host and guest OS as you do with Fusion 3 and it's still flickering away. I'm using the BG Trilogy mod, which includes BG1tutu (playing BG1 with BG2's engine). 3D acceleration fixes the cursor, but gets you other glitches and a noticeable lag (2010 baseline iMac).

hpslm

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2011
Nope. I'm using the same host and guest OS as you do with Fusion 3 and it's still flickering away. I'm using the BG Trilogy mod, which includes BG1tutu (playing BG1 with BG2's engine). 3D acceleration fixes the cursor, but gets you other glitches and a noticeable lag (2010 baseline iMac).

Thanks for the info. I won't waste time trying that then.

I actually just tried Wineskin with WS7Wine engine 1.3.14 and installed normal BG1 into a wrapper. The flickering cursor is gone and the whole feeling is much more cohesive. Like before the cursor traveled in tar and now someone came and cleaned all that and greased the cogs in the engine too if I am allowed to butcher English language like that. At 1280x800 the original resolution is okay but then again, I played it 7-8 years ago on 13" screen too so I might be a bit biased.

I had time to play just few minutes of the beginning when I tried but it looks good so far. So for anyone trying with NVIDIA GeForce 320M, I would recommend Wineskin over VMware Fusion with the disclaimer of not sure how long it will hold. Thanks for all of you who suggested that.

Zortrium

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003

Depending on how much trouble you care to go to, you could trying Fusion 2 rather than Fusion 3. The cursor flickering issue is something I saw in several games once I upgraded to Fusion 3 that never happened in the exact same game prior to the upgrade, and I've never seen the flickering cursor in Fusion 2.

In the games that caused the cursor flicker in v. 3, I never found a good solution.

Jongii

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2011
Okay, so I tried to make sense of this thread and I'm really struggling!

I have recently got my hands on my original PC versions of BG1 and BG2 and I am trying to work out how to install them on to my Mac.

I tried it with wine but I just got a white screen followed by some Divx error.

Any help?

I not great at this stuff and so a dummies guide on how to install a Windows game onto my Mac via a CD would be amazing.

Thanks folks

dkrross

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2011

I hope this thread is still alive.

I'm also having problems and was wondering if anyone knew how to fix this? Both BG1 and BG2 are glitching on my. Im running Parallels on my macbook and playing through tutu. I've played without tutu and have had the same problem.

viewer.php
[/URL][/IMG]

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.