Ballistic HC vs OtterBox for IPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by redlemons, Jul 10, 2010.

1. redlemons macrumors newbie

2. map1978 macrumors 68020

map1978

loved my 3gs and bb bold 9700 otterbox commuter

im gonna be grabbing the commuter for sure. great quality cases.

3. hipvamore macrumors regular

4. iTiki macrumors 6502

I'm with you. Both of those cases make the phone look like a brick.

5. intervenient macrumors 6502a

If you're dead set on one of those, go with the Otterbox.

6. Biff... macrumors 6502a

Biff...

Otterbox for me. I had the defender for my 3g; I recently opened the case and the phone looked brand new. Keep in mind my 2 yr old had dunked it in the dogs water bowl, my wife dropped it a few times, and the dog used it as a chew toy. The case paid for it self many times over.

7. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

They may not win any beauty contests however they do their job extremely well. My Otterbox kept my 3GS in pristine condition in spite of the fact that I do not work in the cleanest of environments.

I did not know of the ballistic case, but I think I may stay with the Otterbox because I'm familiar with it.

8. redlemons thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah im leaning more towards the otterBox than the ballistic

9. RBfKC10 macrumors member

Another vote for Otterbox. I'll use a Vaja or something like that right up until the first time I drop the phone, or almost drop the phone, and buy an otterbox defender in my panic.

It's hard having a phone that you know will literally pay for the upgraded version of the same phone next year. It's not this iPhone 4 I'm protecting; it's the iPhone 4G and then the 4GS, etc.

10. ziggy6894 macrumors newbie

Ballistic HC Case

I purchased the Ballistic HC today for my iPhone 4. The Otterbox is not yet out, but when it comes out I will be replacing my Ballistic HC with it. The Ballistic HC probably does offer more protection. I dont think I could break my phone if I tried, but in doing so they have created a bulky box the greatly reduces usability and functionality. The Otterbox offers enough protection without interfering terribly with the usability of the phone. But, if pure protection from drops (or even cinder blocks falling on your phone) is your want, than you want the ballistic HC.

11. LAS22 macrumors regular

LAS22

12. Raphael96 macrumors member

I really haven't decided which of these models I should go for yet. I am concerned that neither one seems to be available yet!

All I can go by is that otterbox is a company that people have used and are more familiar with and the feedback has been good.

I will feel much better when I have my IPhone 4 in one of these highly protective cases! :)

13. BoleCailey macrumors member

Where did you order the ballistic from? I didn't think they were available yet.

14. redlemons thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah i looked at a vid on youtube and it does look like i could take a beating but it doesn't look usable in everyday life. does any know if it helps with the reception problem at all. and for people that may want to get it call all ur local att retail stores. the in my city have them, but very few... so check it out and someone do a review on it.pls

15. JROC453 macrumors regular

I had the Ballistic case on for a day... hated it. Its already back in the package and returning it today. Waiting for the Otterbox :D

16. JoeC2k6 macrumors member

agreed. takes away the entire sleekness of the phone.

17. RBfKC10 macrumors member

Where can I purchase a Ballistic case? My patience is wearing thin on this other case I bought, and I can't wait another month for otterbox.

Also, how much is the case? I haven't seen any pricing information.

18. pvbwerjr macrumors newbie

19. blitzkrieg1122 macrumors newbie

I have the ballistic case and I'm going to return it to the AT&T store to order the Otterbox. The ballistic case doesn't have a film or anything protecting the camera lens like the Otterbox does. Plus, my Belkin charging cables and my car charger doesn't work with the ballistic case on but it does work on my boyfriend's phone which has an Otterbox. The Otterbox seems to be less bulky too.

20. fuseone macrumors member

The new otterbox doesnt have a film protecting the rear camera lens.

21. TurdFerguson macrumors 6502

They are both ugly as **** and the ballistic looks like it offers more protection so go with that.

22. Kentobentos macrumors member

Ugliness is in the eye of the beholder, and my friends ballistic is ugly as f#*@ for sure. It's huge and feels nothing like the iPhone does in it's naked state. I'm hoping the otterbox will still retain the angular boxy feel in the hand.

23. D3mon313 macrumors newbie

I love my Otterbox defender

I patiently waited for my Defender case and love it. I am in law enforcement, and am stuck in the weather quite often. I chose the Otterbox for the main reason, when it is in the belt clip, the earphone jack is covered. After watching the video for the Ballistic case, I saw that the port was not covered. As for the feel, the iPhone 4 case feels less bulky then the 3gs version. So far, I am very satisfied with the Defender case.

24. mpossoff macrumors 68020

I had the ballistic and returned it to AT&T store. Outerbox is much better.

Marc

25. Brother Esau macrumors 6502

Have had my 3GS in the Otterbox Defender Case since day 1 for almost a year now its been dropped numerous times and saved my phone every time;)
    Hands down you will not get better protection for you iPhone than the Otterbox Defender Case!