Ballmer to retire from MSFT within 1 year

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by longofest, Aug 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. longofest Editor emeritus

longofest

2. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

3. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Maybe the new person will be able to get Microsoft back on track. IMO, Ballmer has been driving the company into the ground and should have left a long time ago.

4. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I just saw this. I think change will be good, but it makes one wonder how bad of a spot Microsoft is in. 2 or 3 years ago, he said he planned to retire in around 10 years. He's 7 or 8 years early. He also just reorganized the entire organization, and then resigns? That's anything but confidence.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think this is good news, if the story pans out. His bombastic style impeded MS more then projected it forward. I think MS is in a good place right now, but not quite firing on all cylinders. A change in leadership can only help point them in the right direction.

6. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

The guy was terrible at determining trends, and outright mocked Apple for several of the trends he failed to predict. I can't say he was absolutely horrible for Microsoft either, he did some good things. The XBox and Xbox Live come to mind.

Here's the official press release from Microsoft.

Source: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/news/press/2013/aug13/08-23AnnouncementPR.aspx

7. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

Ballmer is responsible for many mistakes that made Microsoft irrelevant to the new IT landscape. I hope the new CEO will be better. Microsoft has a chance!

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Microsoft would be smart to go outside the company. They need someone who has never sucked on the teat of Windows or been poisoned with Windows everywhere strategy.

Obligatory. :D

9. John.B macrumors 601

John.B

10. RawBert macrumors 68000

RawBert

Finally. I've always disliked Ballmer. Correction: ...hated that prick.

11. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Let's not forget Ballmers comments on the original iPhone and its lack of keyboard.

12. thekingofnerds macrumors regular

"Step Down" yeah... right.

Sad to see him go, as he was one of the guys who helped make the modern world possible, but definitely overdue. It's time to get some fresh blood in the hot seat.

13. longofest thread starter Editor emeritus

longofest

To be fair, his comments were more inclusive than that. While he did blast the lack of a keyboard, he also blasted the unsubsidized price which did turn out to not be the best approach, and Apple rectified that with the iPhone 3G.

Remember that a primary job of any CEO is to be a cheerleader for their company's products and strategy. While perhaps less ape-like, I recall Steve Jobs making very similar pan-type statements about various products 6 months to a year before Apple themselves introduce just that type of product (iPad mini is the most prominent to come to mind, but there were others). The key is that you have to have a different public face from the face that you have internally to the company, so that while externally you can be cheering the company on and exuding confidence in the company's strategy, internally you can have people assessing other's strategies and what they are succeeding at and what they are getting right and wrong, so that you can adapt to changing market conditions. Sometimes Microsoft did that well, sometimes they didn't.

I would agree with the idea that Ballmer stepping down will be a good move for Microsoft and will help them move on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.