Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
I don't see what the big deal is

The calories themselves aren't really surprising given the size of the burger, but what does seem like a big deal to me is the fact that there's a reward for finishing the whole thing.

I can't believe that someone would want to encourage someone else to consume 4,800 calories in one sitting (although with the way we glorify food sometimes, maybe I'm wrong to have such disbelief).

theDUB

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2008
SLT, CA
The calories themselves aren't really surprising given the size of the burger, but what does seem like a big deal to me is the fact that there's a reward for finishing the whole thing.

I can't believe that someone would want to encourage someone else to consume 4,800 calories in one sitting (although with the way we glorify food sometimes, maybe I'm wrong to have such disbelief).

Welcome to America. Disgusting, isn't it?

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA

'Tis nothing more than a marketing gimmick, and I don't see much harm. So long as it's an unusual occurrence, it shouldn't pose much of an issue.

However, if there is an immediate risk associated with such a stunt (akin to the "Hold Your Wee for a Wii" contest) of which I am unaware, then it should be discontinued immediately but if not, not.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
'Tis nothing more than a marketing gimmick, and I don't see much harm. So long as it's an unusual occurrence, it shouldn't pose much of an issue.

However, if there is an immediate risk associated with such a stunt (akin to the "Hold Your Wee for a Wii" contest) of which I am unaware, then it should be discontinued immediately but if not, not.

I suppose it all depends on how big the risk is to the consumer of the burger.

I mean 4,800 calories would add over 1 solid pound of fat to one's body and pump so much cholesterol and fat into the blood stream, that I can't even fathom how someone can survive such a burger without at least one artery partially clogged.

I guess it doesn't put anyone in immediate danger, but it doesn't sit well with me either.

mcpryon2

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2008
Nice post. As somebody who takes such things as personal challenges, I am rather surprised they're offering a prize for finishing it. You'd think 2lbs of fries would be part of the deal or something.

I have to say I'm pretty confident I could do it, there has to be a catch. It would be fun to try...it's all just a matter of hating yourself enough to finish.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
I don't get the argument...

Add five slices of American cheese and liberal doses of salsa, nacho cheese and Fritos. Top it off with lettuce, tomato and sour cream, and you have a burger that can be sliced with a pizza cutter and feed four people for $20. Jalapenos are optional.

It's considered 4 servings, so 1,200 per serving. You can probably really, properly portioned, serve 6-8.

Yes, I do know - I work in Food Service...

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder

Man vs. Food.
Granted, not all of the challenges involve ridiculous amounts of food, some are bordering on lethal concentrations of capsaicin. :p

iMpathetic

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
IMBY
Man, those people down in America really suck for making that burger.

If there were two people, it would be SO ON.

Sorry, cows. You're livestock for a reason.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
this is disgusting!

I transfer videos for folks and whenever I transfer old film reels, it NEVER ceases to amaze me at how lazy and FAT (on average) our society has become. Don't get me wrong, I need to lose a few pounds and I do work out regularly so I'm not coming in on a high horse.

When I look at these films - people are RIPPED. not just skinny, but ripped. it's amazing. it's rare you see someone overweight and if you do, it's usually someone much older. Even then, i've seen some ripped Grandpas.

I know we've evolved from the monkey man, but I don't like the pudginess to where we seem to be headed. UG-ly!

and this disgusting creation just reinforces that theory.

dmmcintyre3

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2007
even if you split it in 4 pieces 1,200 calories in one meal is a lot. I probably eat 1,500-1750 calories in one day so that is ridiculous. I only weigh 75 lbs.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
i could eat the whole thing......over the course of the day.

just start early in the morning with a few bites.

eat to about the half way point at lunch.

go run after work, maybe some weights also.

then eat almost the rest for dinner.

and finish it up around 10:00 pm

with drinks included, i'd be close to 6,000 calories for the day! a new personal record!

SydneyDev

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2008
I love burgers, normally have them 3 times a week. I couldn't eat that whole thing though, probably somewhere between a third and a half.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Actually, this isn't as big a deal as everyone makes it out to be. If you were to consume that whole, thing, your body would process only a fraction of the fat, calories, cholesterol etc. It's too much to take in one sitting. A majority of it would pass unprocessed. Where the danger lies is if you make a habit of consuming things like this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.