Baltimore's finest at work:Cop abuses children.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Greasyman, Feb 12, 2008.

1. sowillo14 macrumors regular

He shouldn't have lost his temper like that. No way, but on the other hand I know a few Bmore city cops from my gym. You wouldn't understand the warzones, and ghetto trash gang-bangers living a shoot em up lifestyle that they also deal with. Looks like this guy is letting his job get the best of him. Needs a long vacation.

2. runplaysleeprun macrumors 6502a

runplaysleeprun

Quality.

Don't disrespect him, his badge, or his department.

Or call him Man or Dude.

Good think he said his name on the tape.

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Are they all 14 year old kids with water guns, who also say outrageously insulting things like "Dude"?

Besides, it's irrelevant. It's their job. Do it, or find another type of job. This is an example of doing it poorly, and I don't care what they deal with every day because this is their chosen line of work. It's like feeling sorry for a hospital doctor because patients die in their ward. Watching the family's reaction is difficult, but they know it's a part of the job and what happens at a hospital.

I can't feel sorry for him at all. I'm just glad that someone got this on tape, because if they didn't record it, that cop probably would have handed in some false charge against that kid and gotten those kids in a lot more trouble than they deserve to be in.

4. Spizzo macrumors 6502

Saw this on the news last night. I don't care what you deal with on a daily basis, there is no reason not to act professional. This is no way to treat anyone. Skating in the inner harbor doesn't warrant being choked and thrown on the ground, attitude or not.

According to the news last night, this kids mom filed a complaint with the PD, and the supervisor failed to return the call. Also not acceptable. :mad:

5. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

he is a freak parking cop. He one of those people. He is some one who gets a lot of crap from people but then took it out on the kid because he could.

6. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

It goes both ways. Yes, the cop seem to have overreacted but many kids these days are just plain immature and disrespectful.

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

So is that when it's OK for a cop to act like this?

Besides, the 1st part of that statement isn't related to the 2nd. You said this cop overreacted, but there are, generally, many kids who are disrespectful. A cop can't treat those children like this just because there are many disrespectful kids in society. In this instance, these particular kids didn't do anything particularly wrong.

8. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I honestly hate these treads because all it bring up is how people think cops suck are crap and abuse their power. Even though it is only a very small part % that are like that. Most cops are good cops. No one ever bring up the parts where the cops put up with an insane amount of crap and does not react like any normal person would.

What also annoys me is everyone expect cops to always keep their cool. They are human as well. At some point we all snap at work. And the excuse you took that job and that is part the stuff that comes with it can be thrown back at you. Yes cops put up with a lot more crap than the rest of us.

How many of you have never let the stress from work effect you life. It is not possible to keep it from effect one emotionally at some point it will get to them. Cops are in a very high stress job and the human mind and body can only take so much.

9. OLD ELPASO macrumors member

So if and when the human mind and body of a police officer decides it has had enough, and hell breaks loose, I'm really glad that this now newly-psychotic person has a sidearm and is up to their armpits in authority.

10. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

Disabled Man Dumped

Add another abusive cop to the discussion: Florida deputy dumps a paraplegic man to the floor. (linked to Digg b/c the direct link to CNN was a bit touchy for me)

Cops do put up with a lot, and they can loose their temper, but when loosing their temper puts them on the other side of the law it becomes another thing.

Personally speaking I have had one decent experience with a officer. All of the other incidents I have witnessed left me with a less than stellar impression of the police in general.

11. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Kid's got authority issues, cop's got anger issues.

12. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

One as a skateboard (well, not anymore) and the other has a gun! :p

13. Everythingisnt macrumors 6502a

Everythingisnt

No matter what happened, it's the cops *responsibility* to act mature and professional. I think that what he did was neither. In fact, it was kind of shocking. He is one of the people we *trust* to help protect society and maintain general order. While others have excused his behavior, saying "well everyone is under too much stress once in a while", I think that in this case it is irrelevant--if you are unfit to continue operating at a professional standard, you should take a break--not take it out on a group of immature 14 year olds.

If the kids are seriously misbehaving or violating a law, arrest them or give them a warning.. This kind of "unofficial" punishment isn't good for anyone. In fact, it did look like quite an abuse of authority.

14. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I've seen police officers act more professional with their lives in immediate danger.

...And that's seriously their uniform? ...and car?

15. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

I think the cop in the OP video is a parking cop, hence the uniform and vehicle.

16. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Aside from the little fight when the Officer was trying to get the skateboard, it wasn't something that is out of the ordinary... Happens a lot, regardless of the ethics of it.

17. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Maybe if these things weren't true people would stop thinking it.

18. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

I've never met a good cop in my life and I've met plenty. I've never even had a speeding ticket myself, but I've seen cops treat others incredibly poorly. I can also honestly say that despite stress from work, school, and family (usually simultaneously) I've never blown up like that.

In any case, "But, but! Most cops are good" is hardly a defense for this guy's behavior. He should be fired and charged with assault. That's what would happen to anyone else if they did the same thing he did.

19. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I never said he should be let off the hook. The fact stands that people seem to think all cops suck abuse power ect. Lets face it only a small number of them that way but those are the only ones we hear about.

The other reason why people do not like cops is most of the time when they are talking to you they are going to give you a ticket of some sort. Normally speeding. That makes people not like them. Hell most of the time when a cop comes up to talk to you chance are really good you where doing something wrong.

The guy posted here (which btw is an old video) just went way to far. I will let a cop off the hook if they blow up verblily at some one if it is very rare.

20. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Having just burnt through 5 series of The Wire very recently, i'd recommend everyone to watch it. A very very very good analysis of both sides of the badge and city. Fictional in parts, but with a lot of truth and heart in it.
    Having watched The Wire, I ain't suprised. Seen and heard worse, but it's not nice to see.

21. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

You're right. Plus the prevalent "rules are meant to be broken" sentiment shared by too many americans doesn't help. It baffles me how people try to justify breaking the law; my favorite goes something like this "don't officers have anything better to do than cite me for speeding?!"

I have yet to have a bad experience with a police officer; in fact, I have friends who are police officers. In almost every case, police officers deserve far more respect and appreciation than they receive.

It's just unfortunate that the very few bad officers give the rest a bad name.

22. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

I thought I addressed this in my post. I realize it's just my personal experience but I have seen many instances of cops abusing their power, and in none of those cases have I been the one in trouble. I have never even had a cop pull me over for speeding let alone write a ticket (because I don't speed), nor have I been in any other sort of trouble with the law. However, I have witnessed cops abusing others , and I've also found those cops that were off-duty (ie I met them in social settings) to be less than likable people. From my point of view it's the good cops who are very much in the minority. I too have family and acquaintances who are police officers and they've done nothing to dispel this opinion, quite the contrary, they've reinforced it.

23. danidoll521 macrumors regular

I actually live in Baltimore and this is the first I have seen of this particular situation...it makes me sick. I truly understand what police officers in Baltimore City deal with on a daily basis, but there is no excuse for any officer to act like this. There was another case a while back where a couple from Virginia was arrested for asking a police officer for directions after getting lost leaving an Orioles game. Baltimore has significant crime issues, which is all the more reason for its officers to conduct themselves with respect and dignity..they need to work toward correcting the problems Baltimore faces, not enhancing those problems. And as bad as this was, it is nothing for Baltimore City cops. Worse happens on a daily basis.

And by the way, this guy is nothing more than a traffic cop writing tickets and doing security/crowd control around the Inner Harbor.

24. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Please don't think I was trying to justify this officer's actions, because they were absolutely inexcusable. ...And certainly, this is not an issue that can be "addressed" by either of our experiences, so we must just accept that we hold different opinions on the matter.