Bamboo for photo editing?

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by trixie54, Dec 18, 2008.

1. trixie54 macrumors newbie

I just need a tablet for easier/better ability to select & edit objects in PS Elements. That's all I need it for. With no experience with tablets, I can't tell from the Wacom website whether I can get the cheaper Bamboo, or have to pay more for Bamboo Fun, to get this ability to edit photos. Or can someone recommend another (inexpensive) option?
    Thanks!

2. ChrisA macrumors G4

I think the Bamboo is ideal for photo editing. From creating artwork by hand you really do want the other one that is much more expensive, theWacom "Intuos". The Intuos has a pen presure, angle and rotation sensor while the Bamboo line has only a pressure sensor. Pressure is enough for photo editing but not enough for (say) working with a air brush or for calligraphy.

As to which model Bamboo to get, that depends on if you need the bundled software. The "Fun" comes with the previous version of Photoshop elements. Do you need or want that? The version you get is upgradable to the current version. If you don't need the software then don't pay the extra price for the "fun" model because that is the only different between them.

Also you get to select the size. For detailed work the small size is enough but if you want to sketch and draw the bigger one is better.

Most of what I do with the tablet is just scratch and dust busting of scanned images. I use the older, discontinued "Gaphire" tablet with Photoshop CS3. The Bambo is a very slightly improved Graphire.