Bamboo in place of Magic Track Pad?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Mac2133, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Mac2133 macrumors member

First time Mac user. I've ordered the new 2012 27" iMac maxed out with a magic mouse. Later, realized I would've been better off getting a trackpad instead. But they wouldn't change the order without having to cancel the entire order. So, I decided to wait to get my iMac and then exchange the mouse for a trackpad at my local store (they've agreed, by the way).

I'm a photographer using Capture NX2 and Photoshop quite a bit. Quite a bit of photo processing/editing, but not much by way of graphics, drawing, etc. But plan to use the iMac for other stuff about 75% of the time.

Now, this is another thought which crossed my mind. Thinking of getting the (see link below) Bamboo *instead* of the trackpad. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. It's only $90 (as compared to $70 for the Apple track pad) :confused:

Wacom® Bamboo™ Capture Pen Tablet

http://www.costco.com/.product.1170...rticalRight|CategorySiloedViewCP#BVRRWidgetID

2. Mac2133 thread starter macrumors member

3. apple-win macrumors regular

I have a 2010 iMac, I don't like Apple mouse, it is not comfortable to use. Microsoft mouse is much better. When I bought my new 2012 iMac at Apple store, I exchanged the mouse in the box for a trackpad. I bought a Wacom Bamboo tablet for my kids, it comes with ArtRage Studio and SketchBook Express for Windows and OS X. My iMac can dual boot OS X and Windows 7, my kids always choose Windows 7 to run Sketchbook Express.

4. forgottenwallet macrumors newbie

The Magic Trackpad or Mouse come with the iMac bundle. Unless someone can correct me, I'm pretty sure you can't opt out of getting one of the two... You could check with your local store though.

I will be getting a trackpad with my 27". I'm planning on getting a tablet soon, just not sure which to get...
    Just a student's 2 cents... :)

5. THOPMedia macrumors regular

THOPMedia

You would want to get the bamboo in addition to a normal pointing device not instead of. Pens are great for certain things but I really don't like them for general computer use. Track pad is really nice for general use. I would recommend the track pad and the bamboo for when you want to do some creative stuff.

6. kaelell macrumors 6502

I played around with a Bamboo touch for this very reason.

you can use it instead of a trackpad but its not the same experience.
    Firstly all gestures are run by the bamboo software and not nessecarily the same as the default mac drivers you would perform with the apple trackpad.

you can click the touch on and off and switch to pen only mode so that is quite handy to avoid accidental touch.

Its not as responsive nor as accurate as the trackpad.

Conclusion.
    1)Mouse + Bamboo, is a very good option.
    2) Trackpad+bamboo seems like a waste, but you could consider the trackpad in the bamboo as a bonus and not a reason to buy it

unfortuantly Bamboo alone is not enough for a serious user.

7. Mac2133 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks... the kind of advice I was looking for.

8. FuriousGreg macrumors member

This is correct for the Capture (I tried it) but not so for the Intuos5-touch. It's significantly more expensive but worth the $ if you are doing a lot of PH work. It has a fantastic range of control and pressure sensitivity and is almost a requirement for serious PH work IMO. You will not be disappointed with one if you want a tablet.

http://www.wacom.com/products/pen-tablets/intuos/intuos5-touch-small