Bamboo or Intuos?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by i86, Oct 13, 2009.

1. i86 macrumors newbie

I occasionally use Photoshop and other graphics applications, but mostly use my computer for simply surfing on the Web. Is it worth it to get an Intuos or should a Bamboo be OK?

P.S. What is the difference between Bamboo and Bamboo Craft?

2. gumbyx84 macrumors 6502

gumbyx84

Bamboo is the cheaper of the two. The Bamboo line just got upgraded to include multi-touch finger and/or pen support (depending on what version you buy).

3. i86 thread starter macrumors newbie

I read that on Wacom's website. I just wanted to know if the Intuos was worth it. But now I'd like to know what is the difference between Bamboo and Bamboo Craft (they are the same size, but have a different price tag).

4. gumbyx84 macrumors 6502

gumbyx84

Bamboo craft comes with extra software like Photoshop elements. To my knowledge that is the only difference between them.

5. gwerhart0800 macrumors 6502

I believe that the higher end tablets have more levels of touch/pressure sensitivity. This can be a factor to artists and those touching up photos.

6. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

It is not worth it for you to get an Intuos tablet. I have one and I haven't been using it. I'll be selling it and getting one of the Bamboo tablets with touch functionality. Too bad Intuos doesn't support that.

7. ryanide macrumors 6502

Bamboo Fun for sure!

I had the Intuos 3 9"x12" and it took too much desk space and I used mostly the wireless mouse; when using the pen for retouching I mostly used a small area of the tablet. Bigger is only better if you are doing illustrator or drawing type artwork where you will use larger brush strokes and writing area. If just doing basic retouching the larger size is not needed.

I sold my Intuos 3 and bought the Bamboo Fun. It is the largest of the Bamboo sizes and is just about the most perfect tablet I've had yet. The size fits nice on the desk with enough room the the keyboard next to it. The addition of multi-touch makes it function as a trackpad, just as on the MacBook Pro. The pen is just as good (spec wise) and in function as the Intuos 3. (I think the Intuos 4 is a little better now than the version 3). Plus it is a nice size to drop in your laptop bag and take with you on the go. The other tablet would never have left the house.

The Bamboo touch is a little too small and has a very small working area. I would recommend that mostly as a trackpad for a desktop with a pen for that once in a blue moon retouching.

Bamboo Fun is perfect in my opinion. :)

8. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Yep, that's what I'll be doing. I just ordered the Craft model with the intent of it replacing my MBP trackpad.

9. warmseth macrumors newbie

warmseth

Clearly this is a very late response and you have bought what you have bought. But I just got the Bamboo Fun pen and touch and the difference between it and the Craft is that it is several inches larger in dimension and active touch area. (The regular Bamboo Pen and Touch is exactly the same in specs with the Craft. The Craft offers a software package.)

Active Area Fun=8.5 x 5.4 Craft=4.9 x 3.4
    Tablet Dimensions Fun=13.3 x 8.8 Craft=9.8 x 6.9

10. kasakka macrumors 68000

I completely agree. I have an Intuos 3 A4 at home and the A5 size Bamboo at work and kinda prefer the Bamboo because it's so much smaller so easier to have in front of you.