Bamboo vs. magic trackpad vs. ???

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by nhcowboy1, Jul 26, 2011.

1. nhcowboy1 macrumors 6502

I dropped my Logitech Optical Trackman on the floor one time too many today (sigh) and it's gone to trackball heaven. The only replacement I could find that works is an an OLD wired mouse with a little rubber ball in it - absolutely horrible!

So I apologize for my less than original question, but I am effectively without mouse, and trying to do a search of prior posts was . . . uhhh . . . what's the polite word? Frustrating.

So, if you wouldn't mind repeating the advice you've already given, I'd appreciate it.

Here are my preferences/requirements/idiosyncrasies:

First, I never sit at a desk, so can't use any kind of mouse that requires a flat smooth surface. It's going to have to work wherever I am sitting. Cordless is handy, but not essential. Oh, and weight is probably a consideration, since I'd be moving it around a lot.

Programmable buttons - never use 'em, don't care about 'em.

I spend hours on my computer every day - with heavy mouse use, so ergonomics are key. That's why I'm not inclined to replace the Trackman - it was a bit large for my hand and I could never really relax while using it.

Ergonomics is the reason I'm thinking of going with a trackpad or Bamboo tablet instead of another rollerball mouse - it's not for the graphic capabilities. My work is 100% text editing - moving blocks of text from here to there. Being able to draw would just be a fun bonus - but not one I'd want to spend big bucks on.

Finally, even though the Magic Trackpad is supposed to be pretty cool, I'm running Leopard and NOT Lion . . . so I'm not sure how much I'd be able to take advantage of all the features. Also, I've read that because there's no place to rest your hand, using the trackpad for long periods of time can be tiring. Since the Bamboo has a frame (I believe), perhaps this problem is solved? But I have no idea how well the Bamboo functions in place of a mouse . . .

Again, apologies for boring you with the same old-same old question . . . but any insights or suggestions would be much appreciated!

2. gwerhart0800 macrumors 6502

I own both the Magic Trackpad and a Bamboo Pen & Touch. I am a software engineer and do a good bit of cut/paste code moving. Neither is good if you are going to be cutting and pasting large blocks of text. The issue is the limited distance that you can drag stuff. I can do some finger aerobics on the Magic Trackpad to "extend" the distance by using my other hand to "reset" the touch point to keep the drag going. (It is hard to describe, but it is not a natural action.)

I also fine that the precision of the trackpad is not at the same level as a mouse. For example, I sometimes find myself "rolling" my finger on the track pad to try and move the selection end point over another character. Sometimes it works, sometimes it does not.

I would stick with a mouse or find another track ball that works for you.

BTW, if you do decide on a trackpad, the Magic Trackpad is a better choice in my opinion. My Bamboo Pen & Touch is at the bottom of my junk drawer at the moment for good reason.

3. nhcowboy1 thread starter macrumors 6502

gwerhart - Thanks for your reply! You've saved me driving an hour and a half to buy a Magic Trackpad. I can check out a local PC shop to see what's available in trackballs. (Online ordering is not an option - I just can't go another day without a mouse!)

4. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

5. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

I use the Magic trackpad, Logitech cordless trackman, and Wacom intuos 4.

I can't use regular mouse because I get super back hand/wrist pains after 15 minutes. For you, if you want one peripheral, get another trackball without doubt.

I have the magic pad on the left side of the keyboard, and switch between using the wacom and trackball on the right side of the keyboard.

I use the trackpad mostly for bettertouchtool features: expose, go to desktop, close/quit programs, get info, etc just by gestures. For photoshop/aperture use, I mostly use the wacom, and when I am not using the wacom, I put the trackball on top of the tablet and use the trackball.

Again, trackball is the way to go, especially since you've been using one for a long time, and you won't have any adjustment period or buyers remorse. Trackballs RULE!

6. nhcowboy1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, I was able to pick up the latest version of the Logitech trackball locally - the same one suggested by Apple Corps above - and discovered something interesting: I cannot control the trackball with my thumb! Maybe it's just a question of getting used to it . . . but I suspect my thumb just no longer has the fine motor control needed for this task. Meanwhile, my index finger - which used to do a great job of manipulating the trackball! - is utterly inept at holding down buttons.

I'll give it another couple of days - and goodness knows, it's better now than when I first took this thing out of the box - but I've already placed an order for a replacement Trackman. Too bad, 'cause I actually like the fit of the new one better . . . but I don't think my spastic thumb is ever going to get the hand of things!

7. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

Ditto your comments on the "better fit" - better ergonomics :D

I assume that you have gone into system preferences and dialed in the tracking and scrolling speed for your likes ??