Bamboo Wacom Tablet with Photoshop

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MacBoy108, May 16, 2008.

1. MacBoy108 macrumors 6502

MacBoy108

Hi I just got my Wacom Bamboo tablet and I have no idea how to use it with photoshop. If anyone has any experiece with this I'd love any help.

2. wallaby macrumors 6502

wallaby

Well, a tablet is, for all intents and purposes, just like any other input device. First thing's first: have you installed the software that came with your tablet? Without it, it will only act like a mouse. The Wacom Tablet software should have options for mapping your tablet to your screen and deciding what functions the pen buttons will have.

The way tablets work by default are that hovering the pen above the tablet surface will mimic cursor movement, while placing the tip of the pen on the tablet surface mimics a single click. So if you want to paint with your tablet in photoshop, make a new file, select the Brush tool, and start painting away.

That's the basics, the move advanced stuff comes with how you use your pen and its brush settings in photoshop. I believe that be default, pressure will be enabled, so if you press harder/lighter with the pen, it will make a different mark with the brush tool. All the settings to mess with are located in the brush toolbox in photoshop, so the best way to figure it out is to try checking and unchecking different boxes to see if you like them being controlled by the pen pressure/tilt.

3. MacPM8 macrumors regular

I plan on getting this, anyone have any more experience with this or any reviews? Thanks!

4. ejack24 macrumors newbie

I'd like to hear more about it too. In particular, I'd like to know what I would be missing with the Bamboo vs. the next step up in the Wacom line. Photoshop would be my planned use.

5. Bubba Satori macrumors 601

Bubba Satori

Wacom has a page showing the differences in their tablets. You can also answer a questionaire about how you want to use the tablet that will show you which model will be best for you.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The Tablet usable part is essentially your screen and when you use the pen on it, it moves the mouse cursor around on the actually display; since it's pen-like it's easier to draw and hold. Should be plug-and-play, but if not, just download the drivers for it and it should work like a regular mouse.