Bamital [Ramnit-A] Virus Infection?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RoboWarriorSr, Jun 17, 2013.

1. RoboWarriorSr macrumors 6502a

Mods move this to an appropriate section if this is not the right one.

Okay so today, CenturyLink sends me an email saying that my network has been compromised by a Bamital or otherwise known as Ramnit-A virus. Currently this does not affect Mac OSX computer but it is affecting CenturyLink's network. All of the programs listed to get rid of the virus are for Windows and I do not want to pay $100 for Windows. Is there a way to get rid of this or must I call CenturyLink and tell them my predicament?

2. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I don't see how it could affect CenturyLink. Do you have any PC's on your network ?

3. RoboWarriorSr thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nope

4. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

5. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Call them up and tell them your network has no PC's and thusly no virus. It's the typical spam from ISP's trying to get people to buy anti-virus programs. I've heard of Comcast doing the same thing.

6. RoboWarriorSr thread starter macrumors 6502a

So all of the redirects to CenturyLink's customer support is fake? :eek:

----------

Doing that currently, they said they didn't send a message according to their history.

7. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

PS make sure it's not a virus you put on your Kindle when you rooted it per previous posts.

Seriously why root an eBook reader?

8. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

9. RoboWarriorSr thread starter macrumors 6502a

Used Windows on a desktop on another comcast network [my dad's business].

----------

My internet was affected though... CenturyLink was limiting my internet access.

10. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

There you go, scam. Sounds like your email got hacked. Is it Yahoo? (they've been hacked recently, their email is awful)

11. RoboWarriorSr thread starter macrumors 6502a

Actually it's the Hotmail/Live...

12. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Sounds like dads PC is probably infected if they're throttling you. Call CenturyLink and ask for advice.

13. RoboWarriorSr thread starter macrumors 6502a

But's that on a comcast network and the pc never touched CenturyLink's network...

14. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Then contact your ISP and ask them what to do.

15. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

If they didn't send you any messages how do you know they are limiting your internet access ?

16. RoboWarriorSr thread starter macrumors 6502a

It redirected to a century link page saying about the virus was a Bamital and follow the steps to get rid of the virus. It also said my internet access was blocked until proper action was taken. Also trying to go to other sites, it would redirect me to the same page. E-mail sent to me was abuse-silent@centurylinkservices.net.

17. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

18. RoboWarriorSr, Jun 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2013

RoboWarriorSr thread starter macrumors 6502a

On the page, I checked the bulletin saying "I will fix later" or something and check another box saying "I will fix this within 48 hrs". Internet achieved. The main thing is, this was a spam mail as both You and Blueroom said. The problem being, this was the second time it occurred and having to check all those bulletins was a waste of time as with talking to CenturyLink only to find out it wasn't them. Is there a way to stop having those "phishing" sites to appear? I have a Airport Extreme router so if there is a setting to increase security I would like to know.

19. snaky69 macrumors 603

Somebody is using the internet on dodgy websites on your network. Fix that person and his/her computer, and the problem will go away.

20. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Or the OP has an open wi-fi network and the kid down the street's computer is infected.....

I doubt it's spam given the ISP killed his internet. They've got packet inspection running or they're monitoring DNS for known command and control server lookups and flagging.

21. RoboWarriorSr thread starter macrumors 6502a

No I locked down the network using wpa2 and using MAC address.

22. ChillenHippie macrumors newbie

I just experienced the same situation Saturday with CenturyLink. No warning, they just cut off our internet ... thus shutting down our credit card processing. I have three systems using the internet ... an iPad for CC, a PC along with my Mac. I scanned the PC and no viruses were found... and I haven't experienced any virus like behavior.

Their e-mail report showed the virus was detected at night, when we are closed and my systems are off. I'm now using mac filtering as well to see if that prevents it. Otherwise, I think it's something on their end.

23. RoboWarriorSr thread starter macrumors 6502a

Was the email the same one I listed in a previous post?

24. ChillenHippie macrumors newbie

(sorry for the delay)
    Yes, it was the same. I emailed their support on Sunday, they responded Monday that they would forward it on to their technical staff. No response since then (it's now Wednesday). I see other threads on other sites with the same exact treatment.

25. sarshmarsh macrumors newbie

same thing

the same thing happened to me as well as 3 other people I work with on the same day around the same time. I had to call centurylink to have them enable my internet. The guy on the phone was freaking out kept putting me on hold saying this needed to be handled with people higher up then whatever they did they fixed it but said I needed to buy a virus software from them… I have a brand new macbook pro, iPhone 4 and iPad so none of their software was compatible. I think century link is trying to make some money… there was an additional 20 some dollar charge on my bill and I still haven't gotten an answer as to why. I just started using century link too and the other isp for my area is even worse. Looks like the watchmen are in full force on the internet, but as always who watches the watchmen