Ban "Newbies" from using HTML :)

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by jaw04005, Nov 1, 2007.

1. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Can we please? No colors, large fonts or paragraphs filled with bold, underlined or italic text. Just plain black text. Please. :)

Since others are asking for features impossible to implement, I thought I would chime in too. I know it's not possible, but I think it's a good thought—especially in the iPhone forum.

:)

2. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I'm not sure what this would accomplish. If someone can't write in large font, they will simply write it over and over

like this
    like this
    like this
    like this

It has nearly the same annoyance factor IMHO.

The color limitations don't sound bad, but wouldn't this take a great deal of moderator/admin resources to control?

3. Fiveos22 macrumors 65816

Fiveos22

I guess I haven't spent much (if any) time in the iPhone forum, but I haven't seen this happen anywhere else on MR.

4. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

It's not a bad idea if Newbies are prone to abusing the "decorations" features more than other members. While we want to make most Newbies feel welcome, text decorations are usually not necessary to ask a question or make a comment.

There is a downside in that having a minimum post count for any forum feature will produce an incentive for overposting, and we don't want to encourage new members to spam for a qualifying post count.

5. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Unless that count is quite high (like the avatar requirement).

Although I personally think that the Marketplace and PSRI forums need to have their requirements bumped up from 100 to maybe 150 or even 200. I've noticed a few users lately who've gone on posting streaks (lots of one liners) in order to cross the 'finish' line.

</off topic>

What would really help is if we could force all posters with fewer than 30 posts to read the forum rules before they can post a reply or begin a new thread (for each of the 30 posts). Sometimes consistency really is the key.

6. Mac One macrumors member

I agree with ^
    Would it be possible to make the FAQs and rules part of the registering process? Or even just highlighting that there is a search tool (or that Google is effective). I think this would certainly reduce the amounts of "MB vs MBP" or "How many posts till I get an Avatar?"

7. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

Can I ask why newbies seem to be so disliked around here? We were all newbies once and I know that people can ask silly questions but surely that's part of getting to grips with a new forum and set of rules?

I even saw one guy's signature the other day that said newbies should be in their own forum for 6 months! Surely we want to encourage some new blood and extra newbies are an indication of the increasing interest in the mac platform and other apple stuff.

I got a lot of useful help and advice when I first joined MR but this anti-newbie sentiment seems much more prevelant than before.

8. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Agreed, but a lot of them do have irritating childish traits like
    >>>POSTING REALLY BIG TEXT TO GET YOUR ATTENTION<<<

It's just goddam irritating...

9. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

i stand by my original idea of banning newbies from posting until they had 250 posts :D

and yes, it's a joke. :rolleyes:

10. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

It's because a lot of them ever since the iPhone came out have just become rude, there are still some good ones, but there are a lot more bad ones than normal now, if you haven't noticed it then look in the iPhone forums that is where it is the worst. also it is getting more often that there are two threads on the same page asking the same question.

11. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

It is annoying. I wasn't like that as a n00b

12. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

I must admit to never looking in the iPhone forum (will get far too jealous :eek:). Didn't realise the new influx we're being such bad eggs.

13. d_and_n5000 macrumors 6502a

d_and_n5000

Maybe we can pop in some guidelines in the FAQs - something like keep small or large sizes to a minimum(within reason fine ie whitetext and when used as an accent), watch the fonts, keep any colors used at a readable level and at a reasonable amount(as in one total color fine, but having a rainbow throughout not), and don't use bold, italics, underline or strikethrough throughout an entire post. Make it clear that mods have the power and will use it to take formatting off of a post if it is very distracting or overly extraneous.

14. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

yeah i don't see how this would really help....but it might

15. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I doubt that new members, who usually join because they have something to ask or say, will want to read a long list of cautions. We could, however, give new members a few tips, probably in the form of "suggested reading," along with their welcome.

The FAQ, the Forum Rules, and the How to maximise your MacRumors troubleshooting experience thread might be worthy candidates.

16. rhoydotp macrumors 6502

rhoydotp

i agree with this. just take it with a grain of salt.

in all honesty, i am partly annoyed with the signatures that even old timers have on their posts (too many colors & weird quotes), so does this mean that we should also have a rule? just asking :D

17. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

We do want new people, but we also want them to be respectful. I find it unbelievable that some newbs actually attack me because I gave them advice not to break EULA, or go around import duties! We don't want those kinds of members, or, we at the very least don't want them to develop those bad habits.
    I love it! I'm with you!:p
    Doc, would it be possible to have the rules that are most important show up on a screen prior to the newb being allowed to post? IE, they get redirected? I really think this might help get the message across because most newbs don't seem to actually read the suggested readings.
    There is a rule on this. The sig shouldn't be too distracting or large. Check it out :)

18. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

Usually those people don't stick around long enough for it to matter. But where there's a will to be stupid there's a way and they'd find some sort of way around it.

19. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Hey, do you mind if I quote that in my signature? Just like it is in this post, above this text, im not taking credit for it or anything...

20. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

sure ;)

21. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Yes, possible with a bit of programming. But it would be easier to add a few sentences to the welcome message that completes the registration process.

22. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

How about turning the Title for a new thread into a search term and having a confirmation screen before posting a new thread that lists threads that match the title search.

Simply ask "Do any of these threads answer your question or cover a similar topic?" You can also add the caveat that if none of the listed threads are even remotely close to what the poster is trying to ask that they might want a more descriptive title to attract help more quickly.

23. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Question is, do new users who are apt to be rude and disrespectful bother to read the welcome message?

24. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

like this?

25. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

Why do people on Macrumours think they are superior to 'newbies'?
    These people seem to think they've never signed up to any other web site forum before and are completely new to the concept of a 'forum'.

Its quite sad and stuck up, really.

It would be more important to point out the MacRumours is for more than just the blind Apple follower, and that criticism, as well as positive posts are actually allowed. Some members on Apple rumours remind me of Toronto Maple Leaf fans. Blind Loyalty, no matter what.