Band Blocking access to SATA port?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by macbooker15, Aug 2, 2009.

1. macbooker15 macrumors 6502

Its difficult to actually explain, so I posted a picture (I hope!). Basically my hard disk crashed :(, and now I need to replace it. As I put in the new drive, I felt some resistance that I didn't feel before. I looked inside the drive and saw that band blocking access to the port. It appears to be rubber, because the drive kind of bounces back out of the slot when input. Can anyone help?

Attached Files:

2. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

3. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

4. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Looks like that's the band from one of the sides... There's noway to put it back without dismantling and removing the topcase - not really a hard task if you have the right tools and enough time, maybe an hour (tops), it's just clipped into the support holes and held there with double sided tape!!

5. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Yep, looks like it. It doesn't from where it is but it does look like it's missing off the side of the hard drive slot.

6. macbooker15 thread starter macrumors 6502

I definitely think you are right. I see a gummy on one side of the drive slot, but just some yellow residue on the other side, probably from the tape. I've never really opened it up before though :eek:.