Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macbooker15

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 19, 2008
Hello! I'm over here!
Its difficult to actually explain, so I posted a picture (I hope!). Basically my hard disk crashed :(, and now I need to replace it. As I put in the new drive, I felt some resistance that I didn't feel before. I looked inside the drive and saw that band blocking access to the port. It appears to be rubber, because the drive kind of bounces back out of the slot when input. Can anyone help?

Attachments

• 100_1022.JPG
    100_1022.JPG
    919.6 KB · Views: 85

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
Looks like that's the band from one of the sides... There's noway to put it back without dismantling and removing the topcase - not really a hard task if you have the right tools and enough time, maybe an hour (tops), it's just clipped into the support holes and held there with double sided tape!!

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
Looks like that's the band from one of the sides... There's noway to put it back without dismantling and removing the topcase - not really a hard task if you have the right tools and enough time, maybe an hour (tops), it's just clipped into the support holes and held there with double sided tape!!

Yep, looks like it. It doesn't from where it is but it does look like it's missing off the side of the hard drive slot.

macbooker15

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 19, 2008
Hello! I'm over here!

I definitely think you are right. I see a gummy on one side of the drive slot, but just some yellow residue on the other side, probably from the tape. I've never really opened it up before though :eek:.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.