Band Connector Future Proofing

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by TRICKorDEVICE, Mar 12, 2015.

1. TRICKorDEVICE macrumors 6502a

I'm extremely tempted to get the link bracelet. My hope would be that Apple would keep the band connectors for several future generations of the watch, that way the expensive band would be usable in the future. I think it makes sense for them to do that from an ecosystem standpoint.

What are your thoughts and opinions on whether Apple will keep the connector for future versions of the Watch?

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

It's reasonable to expect them not to change the connectors until they make the case so thin that it's thinner than the connectors, as with the port on the new MacBook.

3. twisted-pixel macrumors 6502a

twisted-pixel

ha ha, yes....and then they will sell you an adaptor that you can use to connect your strap to your watch!!

4. WeemanWise macrumors 6502

WeemanWise

The connector will be still compatible with next year's new Apple Watch S but not 2017's Apple Watch 2 which will be 24% thinner, a completely redesigned case, and new 46mm / 50mm size options ;)

5. douglasf13 macrumors 65816

It's very difficult to predict how the Apple Watch design will change over time, because it is an entirely new segment for Apple. I'm not sure we can use any former Apple products as a guide for upgradability.

I honestly could see Apple using the same basic Watch exterior for several years, if they want to make it an iconic "watch" design. With watches, thinner and smaller isn't necessarily better for everyone, so they may keep it the same size and simply improve internals and battery life, rather than shrinking the watch every year like they do with phones and tablets.