Banding on my MBP LCD screen

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MoogleMango, Jun 23, 2011.

1. MoogleMango macrumors newbie

I attached an image of the issue of the screen. Before I downloaded the latest apple software update (to OSX 10.6.8) to prepare for the Lion update, it was fine and loaded without these bands. Now that I have updated, I have been getting these bands.

I understand that with my MBP being pretty old, circa 08, it should be expected.

Is it something that the graphics card doesn't like from the update or is my LCD screen going south? Any tips to fix it?

Attached Files:

2. TheFridge macrumors newbie

3. fungus macrumors regular

fungus

I know it's probably just a coincidence that your graphics card got hosed at the same time you installed 10.6.8, but you've scared me off of updating mine! :eek:;)

4. -js- macrumors regular

-js-

Same thing happened to me after the 10.6.8 update. I got suspicious and googled "10.6.8 screen banding" and got a bunch of hits. First link said that resetting the PRAM would fix the issue (option+control+P+R at boot-up, before grey screen -- will hit grey screen, then go black and then reboot again). This did NOT fix the issue for me. So I continued to read. Someone said he set his energy saver preference for the screen to never turn off and restarted and this fixed it. I did this AND did another PRAM reset for good measure, and now my banding has gone away.

Another hint was that the banding did not appear on the initial grey screen, only after that. In any case, it's not the graphics card. It's the update.

5. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Has little if anything to do with update. Here is the issue and the recommended fix.