Bandwidth and ISP packages

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Stocks, Feb 5, 2015.

1. Stocks macrumors member

I currently have Verizon FiOS for internet service. It's very reliable and fast.

Currently I have the Quantum 50Mbps/50Mbps package because I got a free upgrade for a year, but that year is over next month.

I am contemplating lowering my package, but I want to be sure that I am not going to regret it.

Here is my situation:

I stream from HBO GO, Netflix, Amazon, etc.
    I live alone so I only stream 1 thing at a time.
    I don't play any online games.
    I don't download anything of large size, the biggest downloads I do are OS upgrades.
    I don't serve anything of size either, having a high bandwidth upload is worthless to me.
    While watching a streaming movie I may use my iPad for light web browsing, but that's it.

My question is if I will have any issues with the 15Mbps/5Mbps package? It will save me over $30/month.

FWIW, FiOS is very conservative with their numbers, meaning my 50Mbps package actually shows 54-56Mbps on speedtest.net. So if I choose the 15Mbps/5Mbps package I will get a solid 15Mbps or more.

Will 15Mbps download speed be enough for what I do?

2. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Save the $30/month!

3. sdilley14 macrumors 65816

I think 15MB/5MB would be fine for what you do.

4. Stocks thread starter macrumors member

Great, it's done.

My main concern was if 15Mbps was enough bandwidth for whatever Netflix and Amazon consider HD (or "Super HD" like Netflix calls it).

5. sdilley14 macrumors 65816

I wouldn't browse YouTube and download a bunch of torrents while you're trying to stream HD Netflix at the same time. But if you're just watching Netflix, or doing some light web browsing while watching Netflix, you should be fine.

Maybe worse case scenario you downgrade and for whatever reason it isn't a strong enough connection, you just call them and have them get you back on the faster connection? I don't know if there are any contracts or service agreements in play here?

6. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

I pay out the nose for a 6Mbps connection that streams Netflix fine, but I don't stream Ultra HD or whatever they call it.

According to this they recommend 25Mbps. I'd prefer to save the $30/month, and it'll probably stream fine anyway. I suspect you can always upgrade later if you so desire.

7. Stocks thread starter macrumors member

No service contract so I can upgrade again if I need to.

On my Roku, Netflix says Super HD. Odd that they call it Ultra HD on their website.

25Mbps is kinda crazy. I assume they say you need such a high bandwith because many ISP's lie about their realistic bandwidth and also because many connections get clogged during certain parts of the day. I don't have that problem with FiOS.

ETA: apparently things changed at Netflix. My streaming plan doesn't even include Ultra HD. So I guess I don't have to worry about that anyway LOL.

8. sdilley14 macrumors 65816

I *think* "Super HD" content on Netflix is just their term for 4k? Which has a limited content offering anyways at this point.

9. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Indeed and I find it hard to believe that they'd say "no" to a customer requesting to pay more per month. :D

10. Stocks thread starter macrumors member

From what I just read, Ultra HD is their 4K programming that is available only on certain TVs. Their show House Of Cards is in Ultra HD.

Netflix on my Roku says that some shows and movies are Super HD. From what I can tell, that is 1080p. But my Roku only does 720p.

11. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

Definitely. They likely build in a good 30-35% throughput inefficiency, because if they said 15Mbps, someone buys a 15Mbps plan, and doesn’t get 4K video because their effective bandwidth is really 11-13, Netflix would probably be the first to hear about it (and the ISP would be the first to point the finger at Netflix).

I’d switch (will switch[?]) to FIOS if /when it makes to our area. We’re currently on a Comcast Biz plan, but I think FIOS trumps it in terms of reliability, CS, plus, FIOS is symmetrical, and I’d love 50/50 vs. our 50/10 (though we do get sustained ~58/~12). Not to mention, I believe it’s cheaper.

12. Stocks thread starter macrumors member

I like FiOS a lot. I have had Cablevision (Optimum) and Comcast in the past. I actually had pretty good luck with both of those, but FiOS is still the best when it comes to reliability. 100% uptime, never a congested pipe, just solid service.

I only use internet so I can't speak to their phone of television offerings.