Bandwidth cap question and streaming audio

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AppleFan360, Jul 30, 2009.

1. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

Is AT&T really serious about the bandwidth cap? I was using Sirius/XM on the iPhone for 7 hours the other day and it chewed through 700MB of data just on one day.

Is anyone else using streaming audio on the iPhone and testing the "Unlimited data" theory? If I used the Sirius/XM app every day, I would use 21GB a month!

2. Looon macrumors 6502a

Looon

They probably just say that to discourage people from tethering. It's advertised as unlimited, so go crazy they can't do anything about it.

3. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

There is no 5GB iPhone bandwidth cap. This was a rumor that has been going on since the first iPhone. Read the iPhone TOS and you will see for yourself. People were thinking the 5MB cap that applies for tethering was for the iPhone data plan.

4. AMessy macrumors member

According to the letter I received in the mail today there is however a 24 megabyte "off-net" monthly cap.

5. SeanMcC macrumors regular

That is true, but in-network there is no limit.

6. AMessy macrumors member

My problem is that I thought I was in-network, it wasn't until the first email they sent me which added a "feature" to my phone which let me know when I was Off-network.

To my surprise I found that my office is located off-network. I wasn't too concerned about it, they let me leave after only a year with my 3G without having to pay the ETF.

7. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

Care to tell me what "off-net" means?

8. AMessy macrumors member

To quote the letter it means "an area not directly served by the AT&T network", in other words Roaming.

The iPhone shows AT&T for the carrier no matter what though so you have no idea unless they change it to show when you are off-network.

By the way my situation is moot since I switched to Sprint last week, they were a little slow mailing me the letter.

Also note, they first email they sent me said that my terms and conditions stated my max off-network data usage was 6 Mb. The last email and the letter they sent me list that cap as 24 Mb. And remember as stated above if you are in-network your usage is unlimited.