Bandwidth Issues

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by darkpixie08, Jun 8, 2008.

1. darkpixie08 macrumors member

I'm not really sure where to post this, but my husband and I seem to be having some bandwidth issues (at least I think they are). Whenever I try to move a file or multiple files from my laptop over to our external hard drive, or stream a file to watch a movie on our AppleTV, it sucks up all the bandwidth, and my husband can no longer play WoW. Is this an issue with our wireless router? Bandwidth? Do I need to talk with my ISP? I'd like to be able to watch a movie while he plays his game, and it's rather annoying for only one of us to be able to use the internet at any given time. Any suggestions?

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

It's nothing to do with your ISP: it's an internal network issue. Either you are using up all the available WiFi network bandwidth or all the CPU on the router. It's pretty difficult to work out which.

3. darkpixie08 thread starter macrumors member

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

It's worth noting that if you are streaming your movies off your harddrive only one of you is using the Internet at a time. I suggest trying to connect one of the machines via wired Ethernet. That would take the WiFi connection out of the picture...

5. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Also is your router B, G, or N? If it is B that is definitely your problem. Also G suffers a lot as the distance increases.